fiveelementtao

My Last Post

ur, i have a question about certification / legitimacy.

I have already wondered/asked some ( ok, one :-)) people what/why about the need for it with respect to a "spiritual" practice.

I'm wondering this because i figure the legitimacy/certification is a people thing. Not that people are devoid of spirit. IME/IMO to the contrary. But it seems that certification and legitimacy are required by people (including teachers as we can see they legitimate themselves/each other through lineages/traditions etc).

So i wanted to get deeper into that line of questioning. It's sort of on-topic, i think, because it goes into stuff about lineages and authorised practices and such. My personal position on it is hopefully ok- clear. Just ask if not:-)

My opinion is be upfront about it.

I reference open source programming and open source technologies all of the time. I know several open source programmers who are phenomenal. Better than probably 99% of the highly paid professionals out there. Know when they got started? Sometime around 15. Way too smart for school. Did it on their own. No accreditation. No college course credit. No income. Just doing what they love to do.

You can be a phenomenal performer of your craft or a phenomenal teacher and have no accreditation whatsoever. You may even have the accredited sources coming around trying to tear you down. It makes no difference on your skill.

Just be open with what you have or what you don't have. Make the focus upon what you can or you cannot do.

There are some places that flat out will not even LOOK at you unless you have the proper accreditation/transcript/GPA/job history (basically, a "lineage"). That sucks and that's a fact and you're just going to have to deal with it. But you know what? The cream rises to the top, and skilled people tend to have a way of getting around those barriers.

Some of those 15 year old genuis open source programmers went on to college and got degrees, got into courses, got connections, got "lineages", and went on to great careers. Others went out on their own and made their own careers in their own way.

It is what it is.

Got a lineage? Sweet, what lineage is it? I'll look it up. What is their standard? Who else have they produced?

Don't got a lineage? Sweet, what do you do, and do you do it well? What do you produce?

It's just another of the many factors floating around out there.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

If they are from Brazil it would be 'bruxo' (pronounced broo-show). Ok I know I'm a smartass :lol:.

hahah well not being from brazil i appreciate knowing how to pronounce these kinds of words

youre not a smartass for telling people that sort of thing

I'm writing to let you know I am leaving the discussion forum and this will be my last post.

I have let mods know that if they change their minds in a couple of days and take appropriate action, I am willing to stay. If not, I will take that as a sign that the Universe wants me focusing my efforts on other things.

You are not taking full responsibility for your decisions. I notice this because my former psychotherapist did the same thing. ^_^ Don't first state some absolute decision and then make it relative and dependant on other people's decisions to some kind of ultimatum of yours, and then furthermore connect it to some message from the universe.

( Issue of self-importance vs. humility here? Not meant in any way aggressively: "Who do you think you are?" ;) ... The universe will continue without you, and so will the forum. Try to approach the whole issue with that in mind. )

This thread looks like you are currently in a 'learning-crisis'. You have manifest things due to your inner state, and now 'the universe' ( :lol: ) offers you an opportunity to make a decision.* But make it! Don't dump any responsibility on other things or people. Don't wiggle out. By doing that, you are insincere towards yourself. State what you mean, don't state what you are unsure about.

Also, it helps not trying to control things. Try to change the macrocosm by changing the microcosm. When we try to control outer stuff, we easily go mad.

Please let me know whether my words help you in any way.

*) P.S.: This helped me to get rid of some confusion: When noteworthy things are happening, don't always try to see a message in it, like the universe wanting to tell you something. Instead, try to see it as an opportunity to set a milestone in your life by making a decision. Be thankful for being offered that opportunity.

P.P.S.: Oh, by the way, I learned some things in the past few months, and since this thread includes talks about stealing ideas/techniques from others or generally disrespecting teachers, again based on the idea of how we manifest stuff in our life, I begin to see why Max has or had problems in this regards. (Don't try to read anything specific into this. There's no accusation. Just emphasizing that everything comes from somewhere, so especially during times of conflict, it is good to be very self-critical.)

Edited by Hardyg
  • Like 2

OP: I don't know, I seem to recall things being much worse a couple years back. Samsaric cycles go forwards and backwards.

Edited by nac
  • Like 1