Sign in to follow this  
darebak

Cool Idea For A Dying Man

This message was forwarded from a friend. Seems like a cool idea for anyone who is interested. I was thinking of sending him a nice bottle of wine or some kind of delicious candy. Seems like a nice way to bring light to a grim situation.

Hi all,

This is your chance to do your good deed for the day. This is about a fellow vendor's dad. I know you don't know him or his dad, but I think that makes this an even nicer gesture.

Maybe send a card or whatever? Good guy and I'm sure this 'project', if you will, doesn't make him feel so helpless like we do when someone we love is going to be gone & there's nothing you can do. Or maybe you haven't been in that position yet, but no doubt will be some day. I know I've had more than my share and it's the small, thoughtful things that are so gratifying at a time like this.

If not, I'm sure they would just appreciate good thoughts and peace sent their way.

Be thankful for every day,

Jennifer

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 8:16 PM

Subject: My Crazy Idea

Okay, it's been awhile since I've had a crazy idea and/or tried anything large-scale, so here we go. Please feel free to tell me this is a stupid idea and I should stop now.

My Dad is dying. He has advanced Vascular Dementia. Basically his brain is self-destructing and has progressed to the point where it's interfering with basic life functions. Doctors say he has from 5-10 days left (A while back he elected not to have artificial life saving measures put in place)..

SO, what I want to do is have random people send him stuff. From all over the country. Balloons, flowers, notes, you name it. I want to make sure that his last days while he's sitting in a nursing home waiting to die are filled with some kind of happiness.

Here are the details:

http://dearbill.freeservers.com/

This may have been conceived with the most heartfelt intention, but please consider that this kind of thing can seriously backfire. Nursing home staff usually are stretched too thin just providing basic care, and a flood of mail can actually be disruptive. They probably would give all of it to the family members, who may or may not really want to be inundated with it. I'd suggest that the dying man may really need and want only close family visitors at this time, and there are other ways to express compassion.

If the family members want mail for themselves sent to their homes, to help them grieve, that's another thing.

Best,

Karen

Edited by karen

Yikes!

Don't ya think maybe that is just a bit negative?

I'm sure the man knows his father well enough to gauge whether or not he would be into such a thing.

As for the nursing home staff, if they are nice folks, they'd probably get a kick out of it.

Seems to me that people are responsive to acts of love and kindness, even if it means a bit more work.

A positive act can break through a shell of institutionalization, like a ray of sun through the San Francisco fog at noon.

:D

A positive act can break through a shell of institutionalization, like a ray of sun through the San Francisco fog at noon.

Where have you read this legend about a ray of sunshine piercing the fog of San Francisco!?? I will need to see if to believe it! :D I keep forgetting you are in the Bay, man. We should get tea sometime. I have been too busy to make it over the bridge in ages though.

Definitely. Give me a holler should you venture over to the dark side of the Bay. I'll do the same if I ever decide to cross the bridge and face the sun. B)

Sign in to follow this