Sign in to follow this  
darebak

Hi There

My name is Derek.

I live part time in the LA area and part time in San Francisco due to work and family.

I have been interested in taoism for some time now. I have read just about every book in English on the subject. I am also interested in Tummo, shamanism and the fact that so many different cultures have arrived at such similar practices in order to transcend the mundane.

I have practiced yang tai chi with a very good teacher. I have practiced different types of meditation. I'm always looking for a genuine teacher of a genuine practice, though I don't expect to find another one until I genuinely spend more time on the practices I have learned thus far.

Honestly I think that 99% of the people in the United States professing knowledge about taoism and chinese martial arts are hacks trying to make a buck. They may have gathered a few tidbits of genuine info but have no clue how to practice it safely let alone teach it. And yet commodities with the label of taoism abound.

Are we really foolish enough to believe that these powerfully transformative and dangerous techniques would be available by credit card on Amazon? Thankfully they are not.

In many cases I think the best teacher for most of us is the intuition. If we are sincere enough, and honest enough with ourselves, we can learn from the Tao like Fu Hsi learned about the changes from a tortoise shell. I think I learn more from my children than I do from any ancient writing.

So at this point I strive to sincerely practice what I've learned, despite the hectic reality that I have surrounded myself with. I strive to honor and expand my own intuition and comprehension of tao. I remain open to all potential for understanding great and small.

Of course this is me in serious mode, sans the fart jokes, the countless hours spent on World of Warcraft and the strange obsession with tattooing.

Anyway thanks for creating a non-hierarchical forum for discussing these matters. I look forward to participating!

Hey Derek,

Just thought I'd give you a reply. Thanks for your intro. Nice to have you on board.

Your point about genuine teachers of taoist arts being rare is probably accurate, but as you suggest, that is probably for a reason...

Duncan

Hey man, welcome to TTB. Next time you are up in SF you should pm me and we can meet for tea or something. :)

Sign in to follow this