Sign in to follow this  
nac

Complexity

There is that open simple state where all the complexities are revealed in a flash of intuition that takes years to fully unravel in conceptual form.

A Seeker: I'm sorry for any misunderstanding. I mostly agree, except I don't place more inherent value on simplicity or complexity. I disagree that discovering correlations between a wealth of "complexity" renders the whole situation "simple". These simple explanations are often nothing more than pragmatic generalizations based on a pre-existing formal or informal scheme of analogy. It no doubt has pragmatic value, but it's best not to idealize logic and reasoning to an unjustifiable extent.

V: Such a state would transcend simplicity and complexity.

Thanks Nac. I think I need not comment.

Peace & Love!

...even so, I think it's almost always beneficial to remain aware of all perspectives, including underlying structures, when experiencing "simplicity", unless one is looking away as a spiritual exercise, etc. :P

BTW, imagine if there had been a trial based on the event recorded in the selective attention video. Most eyewitnesses would've sworn that nothing unusual had taken place. This is one explanation as to why so many people are being exonerated from DNA evidence. Eyewitnesses are unreliable. Here, try it again:

If you're interested, see: http://www.theinvisiblegorilla.com/videos.html

Bonus video:

:)

...even so, I think it's almost always beneficial to remain aware of all perspectives, including underlying structures, when experiencing "simplicity", unless one is looking away as a spiritual exercise, etc. :P

BTW, imagine if there had been a trial based on the event recorded in the selective attention video. Most eyewitnesses would've sworn that nothing unusual had taken place. This is one explanation as to why so many people are being exonerated from DNA evidence. Eyewitnesses are unreliable.

I agree. Roughly speaking, we see what we want to see. There was a movie about that recently where the investigator had something like seven witnesses and they eack saw something different.

You know, viewing life simplistically is part of the 'wu wei' concept. In the state of wu wei we view our surroundings simplistically. This way we are not concentrating on any one particular aspect but able to see (be aware of) everything. If sometime happens that requires attention then we go to the more complex concentrating on that particular event.

The results of my viewing the first video was a normal outcome for me. If I am concentrating on the complexity of one thing only I am rarely aware of anything else. When I am working out in the yard I will sometimes look at a hand or arm and see blood dripping from it. I will have no idea what I did to cause the wound because my concentration was fixed on what I was doing.

Peace & Love!

Guest paul walter

After all, don't simplicity and complexity go hand in hand to create harmony in nature?

Someone said of Mozarts music that it's "complex, but not complicated". I can recommend Mozarts piano concertos and sonatas as illustrations of this taoist principle.

Edited by paul walter

Complexity exists in the mind, as an assesment or judgement.

What is complex to one mind is simple to another.

I agree. But then, the thoughts in our mind are based on our needs and if we need a thorough understanding of how something works then it will be necessary to go to the complex.

Peace & Love!

Where does "simplicity" exist? Also in the mind!

What is complex to one mind is simple to another.

Complex is not synonymous with "difficult". The eternal Tao is beyond names.

Sign in to follow this