Sloppy Zhang

The Pursuit of Power

Why learn to shoot a basketball from the three point line, when you can shoot it from the free throw line? From the baseline? Why even learn to shoot a basketball? What's the point? Why keep doing sprinting competitions when we have cars that can go faster? Who cares about the human limits Usain Bolt has pushed when we have jets that that can go thousands of times faster? Why invent the light bulb when we already had candles? Why invent the computer when we already had the typewriter?

This isn't a knock at you, it's just that I've heard the idea you are saying supported before by other people, and I am talking about the idea here:

Frankly, I think that idea is rather short sighted, and unnecessarily limiting.

Hmm, well I wasn't implying anything in regards to natural progression. It is the nature of my life. I was just wondering why some people seek supernatural powers when we already are able to accomplish similar things in the same way. Of course it would be cool to be able to levitate, but I really don't mind walking. :) I guess cause it would just be cool to have them and you could benefit yourself and others in some ways, but it's not the only way. :P

I'm not really in support of any idea but just had a curiosity about this in particular. I wonder things on both sides but don't really hold onto a particular viewpoint. Yeah I know...kinda wishy washy and boring...just call me Charlie Brown :lol:

Hmm, well I wasn't implying anything in regards to natural progression. It is the nature of my life. I was just wondering why some people seek supernatural powers when we already are able to accomplish similar things in the same way.

Can't you say that "natural progression" is getting better at doing things we can already do?

We can already walk, get from one place to another, so why not run, then run really, really fast, then fly?

We already had the printing press, we could already print things, why did we need to create the typewriter? And then the computer (which requires a separate printing apparatus in order to get stuff from a screen onto the paper)?

You mentioned there's no need to see through walls when you can just walk around and see what's on the other side, well what if you think someone has broken into your house? Why put yourself in danger when you can just see whether the person on the other side is a potentially violent intruder, or just your brother trying to sneak in late after everyone has already gone to sleep?

Why be content with the rather limited array of things humans can do right now? Why not improve?

Sure, opening a door with your mind might be clunky and inefficient at first, but so is typing. I mean, think about when you first learned to type, you didn't know where the keys were, you were using your fingers in ways that you probably had never used them before, and, after time you got faster and faster (well some people are slow typists, even after a long time). But the point is, it's awkward at first, and you get better.

Just like any other skill.

Of course it would be cool to be able to levitate, but I really don't mind walking. :)

So I guess you never use a car, or take a plane, or train, or boat when going long distances? ;)

I guess cause it would just be cool to have them and you could benefit yourself and others in some ways, but it's not the only way. :P

It's just incredibly more efficient to be able to clairvoyantly be able to find a missing person, than it is to go organize a giant search party, which takes time, doesn't always work, and in worse case scenarios, can give a victim time to be tortured and/or killed.

I know you don't necessary support every aspect of the idea you're putting forward personally, but I urge everyone who DOES think in the way you are putting forward, to think a little bit harder:

Just because we can do something now, does that mean we shouldn't seek ways to improve?

In cases like this, I think of people like Natalee Holloway. No one knows exactly what happened to her. The only person that may know is not helpful, and changes the story to boost his own notoriety. Then there are all these people talking about developing psychic powers, and how they shouldn't be used for selfish purposes, and how they will only demonstrate them to students who "are worthy". And honestly, it makes me sick.

If you got the goods, use them to find people like Holloway. Help put criminals behind bars. Help the parents of people like this have some closure, rather than leaving them with a gaping emotional wound that does nothing but festers over the years.

And then situations like

just make me sick. People who have legitimate skills need to put these people in their place, and give the real stuff to the people.

I'm not really in support of any idea but just had a curiosity about this in particular. I wonder things on both sides but don't really hold onto a particular viewpoint. Yeah I know...kinda wishy washy and boring...just call me Charlie Brown :lol:

I think it's very important to see both sides of the issue.

As much as I love imagination, and having an imagination, and being creative, and understanding that there are aspects of humanity which aren't strictly physical or rational, I also think it's important to be practical.

And practically speaking, psychic "powers" would be INCREDIBLY useful and helpful. And anyone who can't see that, I think, needs to think a little bit harder, and a bit further outside the box in which they are currently thinking.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

"I'm unable to convince anyone."

A really great "power" to have is to understand why that is- and there are lots of "whys" but I guess they could boil down to only one.

I agree that desiring "powers" is a good topic. "Helping" people could be subtle control (or not so subtle, per the drug industry examples this week), or a way to (retroactively) regain power one never had at a time when it was really needed. Such as in "When I was beaten up, had I had X power at the time, it wouldn't have happened, or I'd have won. Problem being that having the power any time before or after that fact will still not change that fact. Bummer.

I guess I would have fun lighting up light bulbs with my paws but then if I want to light my house that way, I'd have to stand around like a lampstand (which would be pretty silly and make it impossible to do other things I like). Maybe I could train other people to light up the lightbulbs so they could do it - per the shade-bearing slaves or the people who would fan the Queen of old? But I don't believe in slavery.

If I train to kick serious a$$ I would then need to ensure it was never known about for I could suddenly find myself in an army of trained a$$-kickers and I don't believe in war.

I suppose I could train to seek magical revenge for the way the "elites" are driving the world but since they don't care about anyone, they wouldn't notice the cruel removal of one (or several) of theirs. Besides, they have enough wannabees lining up to take part. Why?