Sign in to follow this  
Astral_Anima

Meditation and sleep deprivation

Hey all,

I'm constantly in search of methods to increase my gains in everything I do. On the topic of meditation I've been contemplating it's correlation (if any) with sleep deprivation, or rather an "augmented" sleep schedule. I notice that when I sleep less or don't sleep at all, the next day I feel as if i'm constantly that place between dream and awake which seems to be ideal for meditation. I've been looking into polyphastic sleep, which is taking multiple power naps during the day instead of sleeping once per day for longer duration (if anyone's ever seen that Sienfeld episode where Cramer tried that...LMAO). For example, DaVinchi used to call for roughly 20mins every 4 hours(only 2 hours of sleep every 24 hour cycle!!!). One of the biggest touted benefits (besides more waking time) is a heightened vivid-ness and intensity of dreams and the tendency toward "visions" or "hallucinations", which seem rather rare but welcomed in my reality :)

I'm trying to devote as much time to practicing meditation and certain physical exercises as I can so I figured this may be an option. I plan on combining it with a diet of fruit and sprouted grains/beans/seeds because I naturally sleep less and have more energy when I eat like that anyway, the only trouble would be finding work O.o

But anyway has anyone ever experimented with polyphastic sleep before? Have you noticed the effect certain sleep patterns or diets have had on your meditations? I'm really trying to maximize my results so any and all input would be MUCH appreciated and probably enjoyed by the many anon stalkers on this site ;)

Thx in advance

-Astral

I would be more worried about the effects on my metabolism and circadian rhythms than whether I'll be more prone to visions and hallucinations after lacking sleep.

I read tho on a buddhist website, according to the author the best way to sleep is 2-4 hrs twice a day.

There are also those polyphasic sleepers.

There's also Yoga Nidra, which is supposed to be able to replace lost sleep. Sleeping qigong, etc. Full lotus. Brainwave entrainment.

I would love to be able to only need like 1 hr of sleep a day, hell if any. But my understanding (from sources I've read) is that one can go without sleep as long as the person has had 4 hrs of REM sleep a day.

Edited by Non

Huh...i'd never heard of the yoga nidra OR the buddhist thing. Did they say why it was best for only 2-4 hrs twice a night? That sounds a little easier to do socially.

But yeah i'm not so concerned with the visions and such, although the vivid dreams might be fun, especially if it turns into lucid dreams (which i'm TOTALLy trying to do). The real motivation for this is to maximize time for meditation and practice. Also I'd like to optimize my mind/state of awareness so that it's easier to slip into the right state of mind for meditation. I'm trying to incorporate sensory deprivation as well. I just ordered this thing called a "Mindfold" which blots out like ALL light, i'm thinking of using some binaural beats, maybe burning some incense, etc.

Yeah the concerns though are something to take into consideration. I don't really have a metabolism right now and I don't really eat much anyway, so i'm not so concerned about that. I just hope that I won't do any long term damage by follow a regime like that. I don't fully understand the functions sleep serves but I DO know that meditation is my priority so i'm willing to put up with discomfort.

Oh crap. I LIKE sleeping. Both when necessary and as much as possible ;-)

Under what circumstances would you like to train for polyphasic (sp?) sleep? Unless necessary (i.e. large animals after you or you after them or sailing or something?)

Oh crap. I LIKE sleeping. Both when necessary and as much as possible ;-)

Under what circumstances would you like to train for polyphasic (sp?) sleep? Unless necessary (i.e. large animals after you or you after them or sailing or something?)

Haha, Kate, I like sleeping too! and I am in no way advocating this for anyone other than myself. This is no invitation or dogmatic declaration, this is simply personal experimentation of an extremist. Because of my personal goals for my existence I have decided that I need to train my body and mind to the utmost limit. I am trying to set up a more organized training schedule for myself to bring structure (something I realize I thrive on). However I'm also trying to utilize my time the best I can, as I have much laziness to make up for. The condition is simply to be able to meditate and train as much as possible. I'm hoping to put in a minimum of 3 hours meditation and 3 hours of physical work every day.

Again please don't think of my doing this as some kind of threat to your current lifestyle, if you're comfortable stay where you are. Personally I am quite dissatisfied with myself and my lack of progress and simply need some change :)

-Astral

Sign in to follow this