Lozen

I am a pill popper

Sorry to revive a dead thread (especially after starting a part 2 on my own log) but I wanted to ask Karen or anybody else who knows why Floradix isn't absorbable? The veggies say "aqueous extract" and not sure what that means, but it sounds like tea? I mean, if it's not bioavailable, how come tinctures and teas work?

I'm so supplement-ed out today... okay, I'll switch to my log for that. B)

Cod liver oil.. take it with a spoonful of something pungent like an olive oil/vinegar dressing. The lemon flavored one seems the best to me.

Multivitamins.. I think not necessary, or can be put in the "once in a while" stash. Bergner is right that you need nutrients in order to absorb nutrients. But that can be done other ways. You can take Schussler cell salts to get microdoses of minerals, or ConcenTrace trace minerals, which will help you absorb minerals.

Cod liver oil covers A and D. As for B's, you might need a B-complex supplement for a while when under stress, but they can be hard to digest and absorb, so I would use a liquid form or sublingual. As for vitamin C, goji or lycii fruit and Ayurvedic rasayanas containing Amla fruit (delish.)

Brewer's yeast flakes / nutritional yeast flakes for B vitamins in rather huge doses. (nice on a salad with gomasio (ground salted sesame seeds) and a dressing (for example olive oil and red wine vinegar)

Acerola cherry for vitamin C (1/3 teaspoon is over 100% RDA. but.... RDA isn't really enough. Read Linus Pauling his books on vitamin C (Nobel prize winner on vitamin C research)

Any more recommendations?

Brewer's yeast flakes / nutritional yeast flakes for B vitamins in rather huge doses. (nice on a salad with gomasio (ground salted sesame seeds) and a dressing (for example olive oil and red wine vinegar)

Acerola cherry for vitamin C (1/3 teaspoon is over 100% RDA. but.... RDA isn't really enough. Read Linus Pauling his books on vitamin C (Nobel prize winner on vitamin C research)

Any more recommendations?

I just do goji or emergen-C for the vit C as needed... I take B vitamins in pill form but only if I'm really stressed out...

My supplements are a good multi and fish oil/cod liver oil...

I wanted to ask Karen or anybody else who knows why Floradix isn't absorbable? The veggies say "aqueous extract" and not sure what that means, but it sounds like tea? I mean, if it's not bioavailable, how come tinctures and teas work?

Tinctures and teas that have medicinal action work differently from those that are nutrients. The concept is utilization, not just absorption. Just because something is water soluble doesn't mean that the body knows how to utilize it efficiently.

Taking Ferr-phos tissue salt can help your body's iron *function* which is different from a simple matter of filling the deficiency. Then you might actually get more out of the Floradix.

Iron has a higher function beyond biochemistry, and that relates to the ego structure. So people working out issues to do with their sense of self often have issues with iron that may not resolve by simply taking in more iron, but that will resolve as the higher functions resolve.

Re. cod liver oil, there's a high-vitamin CLO from Radiant Life (a Weston Price oriented company), which is more expensive but you take less - just one ml per serving. Comes with a little syringe so you pull out just the amount you need and don't expose the rest to air. Cinnamon flavor is nice!

That's high in Vit D and A but low in omega-3 oils, so you would neeed an additional fish oil supplement, as most people do anyway. But for those vitamins, it's the best I've found.

I don't like to put supplements into food, but slip them in with a mouthful of juice. Cinnamon flavor cod liver oil with apple juice is pretty pleasant.

Radiant Life also has a variety of natural vit C products that I like.

B vitamins are also difficult to utilize, and I recommend liquid products. Liquid B Complex from Genestra, or Max Stress B Nano-Plex.

-Karen

I take Barlean's Omega Swirl because it is yummy CLO.

Even the cinnamon flavored I think has a nasty aftertaste and it doesn't matter how good it is for me if I casn't eat it. But I know I should be supplementing my Barlean's CLO with fish oil too to get my 3-5 mg combined epa/dha but I can't find any with taste I can stand and I hear the pills are rancid. for a while I was using the Green Pasture's pills because they are fermented. But it is hard to estimate how much epa/dha is in each.

I thought you said liquid B's had nasty additives and MSG?

Barlean's contains extra glycerin, not good for teeth, and citric acid is usually made from corn and is one of the hidden sources of MSG.

Most liquid B vitamins do contain nasty additives like hidden MSG, and it's hard to tell what "natural flavor" is, unless you call the manufacturer and even then they often don't know. Some of the more specialized manufacturers do, and sometimes it's worth a call.

The products I mentioned I think are better quality than usual, and the Nano-plex is a unique kind of formulation.

It does have glycerin, but it is SO YUMMY. I was hoping the positive attributes of the CLO would override the negative aspects of the additives. lol