DalTheJigsaw123

The Secret, is it BS? (Law Of Attraction)

You never do GET those surface desires, but you learn why you didn't actually want them

I wouldn't be so categorical. Sometimes you DO get them. But before you get them you first realize the implications. You realize what it means to get them. Then you realize you have to review your longstanding values, because they might be in the way of getting your desire. Then you make a decision as to whether say "no" to the desire or to say "no" to your longstanding beliefs/values. Often the most amazing and transformative moment, a moment when you become a different person, is when you reject an old belief system or some old core values, and begin to melt away the associated supporting beliefs and values and watch your desire come into being.

Sometimes you first think you want something and that's that. Then as you contemplate it, as you bring it up in visualization, you realize you don't "just" want it, but that you must have it. Your resolve becomes diamond-like, and your ability to remove obstacles grows 1000-fold.

This is what happens, for example, with enlightenment. If you realize that enlightenment is a lot more valuable than you previously thought, suddenly what you wouldn't sacrifice for it 10 years ago becomes acceptable to sacrifice for it now, and it may not even be seen as a big sacrifice 1 year later. Etc.

In other words, anything can happen. It might happen that you'll realize you don't want it after all. Or you may realize you do want. After all, enlightenment is a desire too. :) Wanting to be wise, wanting to meditate, wanting to be kind, etc... all those are desires. We consider them noble, but they are still desires.

Guest paul walter

There's so much wisdom on this thread from those who have have taken the time to understand our basic life problems. It's enough to close down all the new age shops on the planet! Grateful. Paul.

Actually something I found really valuable is actually GETTING some of those surface desires. And then seeing how over time you stop appreciating them, and suddenly you're right back where you started: dissatisfied. Hehe. All things are empty :) But it really takes some life experience to realize that you can actually get lots of things you wanted, and not appreciate them. Most people have been thoroughly convinced that happiness lies somewhere near a pile of new clothes or new cars or new ANYTHING. It's cliche, but it's true.

Get stuff you want, but understand where the real happiness comes from, I say.

Actually something I found really valuable is actually GETTING some of those surface desires. And then seeing how over time you stop appreciating them, and suddenly you're right back where you started: dissatisfied. Hehe. All things are empty :) But it really takes some life experience to realize that you can actually get lots of things you wanted, and not appreciate them. Most people have been thoroughly convinced that happiness lies somewhere near a pile of new clothes or new cars or new ANYTHING. It's cliche, but it's true.

Get stuff you want, but understand where the real happiness comes from, I say.

I think what you describe can and does happen often. But I don't think it is the only way that life unfolds. Sometimes you get something and do appreciate it. Sometimes you even appreciate dissatisfaction and instead of thinking, "Oh well, here we go again... I am dissatisfied again... yawn, there it goes again.... how boring and redundant is that? Haven't I learned anything?", you might be thinking, "I am dissatisfied. That's great! It is time to satisfy myself in new ways. The field is once again wide open, and the possibilities are many." Dissatisfaction could be a creative state that you could look forward to as much as you can look forward to satisfaction.

I think I keep repeating this, anything can be anything. Nothing has to be something in particular. It can be. But it doesn't have to. That's kind of what it means to be empty. In the language of mathematics it looks like this: "It can be but doesn't have to be" = "empty".

There's so much wisdom on this thread from those who have have taken the time to understand our basic life problems. It's enough to close down all the new age shops on the planet! Grateful. Paul.

I agree! I believe The Kybalion really gives you an outline for how to live life.

I think what you describe can and does happen often. But I don't think it is the only way that life unfolds. Sometimes you get something and do appreciate it. Sometimes you even appreciate dissatisfaction and instead of thinking, "Oh well, here we go again... I am dissatisfied again... yawn, there it goes again.... how boring and redundant is that? Haven't I learned anything?", you might be thinking, "I am dissatisfied. That's great! It is time to satisfy myself in new ways. The field is once again wide open, and the possibilities are many." Dissatisfaction could be a creative state that you could look forward to as much as you can look forward to satisfaction.

I think I keep repeating this, anything can be anything. Nothing has to be something in particular. It can be. But it doesn't have to. That's kind of what it means to be empty. In the language of mathematics it looks like this: "It can be but doesn't have to be" = "empty".

Sounds good.

I wasn't saying you would always get things and not appreciate them. I said "can", not "will". However, in the unfolding process that comes up while learning these things there are many little insights you gain. For example, you don't actually NEED any of the stuff to show up, since when you experience it in your being you are experiencing it, and so you already effectively have it. (Of course this is when it does show up, hehe) The point wasn't that desire is evil, or desire inevitably leads to unappreciation. The point is, to know why you want what you want, and stop wasting time with things you don't truly want. It teaches you to really know what is valuable to you.