#1 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 03:50 AM

http://dandjurdjevic...o-they.html?m=1

Some interesting ideas and cool videos. Fascia, tensegrity, dynamic stretching, etc.

Side note: how about that video of Stefan Holm?! Hopping hurdles his own height as easily as I get into bed...!

• gendao, rainbowvein and Cheshire Cat said thanks for this

I'm just trying to be somebody I can talk to in the morning with a smile

#2 rainbowvein

rainbowvein

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 5956 posts
  • Interests:Tao and Tai Chi

Posted 18 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

Hi dust,

I mistakenly read fascial fitness as facial fitness. Glad I clicked on the link. :)

Yeay for fascial fitness! (Side note: ever get Rolfed?)

From the article: "Fascial changes, unlike muscular adaptation, can take a long time and researchers advise 6 to 24 months before any significant changes may take place. This time-frame will not deter any serious IMA or yoga practitioner. Training needs to be persistent, regular and in small doses for collagen re-adaptation to occur."

It is my experience (as a student of moving qigong and taiji methods) that the education and the training of a tai ji / ima teacher comes in to play - to be able to deeply incorporate and transmit proper movement techniques. Practice, refine, practice some more, repeat.

Anything you'd like to share about your own fascial fitness? :)

• dust said thanks for this

#3 dust

dust

灰眼胡

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 2238 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 09:31 AM

Yes... taiji... Little things I encounter -- here or elsewhere -- keep nudging me towards getting back to taiji. This is certainly one. I've been waiting for a beginner's class with my old teacher (as it's been 13 years!) and hopefully the new year will be a good starting point.

As to your question.. I've not really thought about my fascia much till now. Most of my movement practice in the last 13 years since drifting away from taiji has been weightlifting and the odd bit of rock climbing and running, so the notion of fascia being an integral part of lifting weights and holding things together under high stress certainly struck me, as did the dismissal of the traditional lever model of bones & muscles; the article certainly makes sense. And I think my 'tensegrity' is decent.

But (as you might have noticed in my stretching topic) I have been quite inflexible for many years and am wondering if decreased fascial flexibility is playing as much a part in my slow mobility improvement as decreased muscular flexibility. So yes, this could be an argument for taiji and acupuncture, I think.

edit: Nope, only just hearing about Rolfing. A little sceptical as far as gravity being the primary factor...but the notion of fascial restructuring/massaging/etc sounds well enough

Edited by dust, 19 December 2016 - 09:36 AM.

• rainbowvein said thanks for this

I'm just trying to be somebody I can talk to in the morning with a smile

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users