CloudHands

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 11:20 PM

http://www.renenavarro.org/writings#

In particular the text "Looking for Yang Cheng-Fu"

The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night.

#130 Sudhamma

Sudhamma

Dao Bum

• The Dao Bums
  • Pip
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Practise and teach 'San Pan Gong', Taiji Longivity Ruler, Baqua Roushenggong, and Ma (Yungsheng)-style Taijiquan.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 09:31 PM

Thank you for this post on Taijichuan styles. I appreciate the inputs you guys have posted and especially that from Steve. He was concise and 'technical'. My Taijichuan journey began with Wu-jia, some 40+ years ago, but gave it all up because, no applications were taught. Then it was Chen's xiaojia and learnt and appreciated some fajing within the taulu. About 20 years ago, I was taught Ma yungsheng's Taijichuan. This was interesting. Ma yungsheng was invited to teach his taijichuan sometime in 1928 to students of Nanjing Central Wushu Academy. At that time, China was transgressed by Imperial Japan and the Chinese government of the time, the Kuomingtang (KMT) wanted to train martial artists to spread their skills throughout the country. That was the period of sending 5 Northern martial artists to Southern China. These 5 were known as 5 Tigers going to Chiangnan, "Wu Fu Xia Chiangnan". They were recognized to have introduced Northern Shaolin, and Baquazhang to Guangdong. Coming back to Ma yungsheng, he wrote in this boxing manual that if anyone was to ask of the lineage of his taijichuan, his answer would be that he had collectively mould the key elements of various schools into his taijichuan and that the 13 movements of Taijichuan were represented in his set. He called his taijichuan, New Taijichuan, but later practitioners would renamed it as Baqua Taijichuan or Ma-jia Taijichuan. Given the period of China's history, it was no surprise that his set was designed for fighting. I have a background with Northern Shaolin and could discerned elements of Northern Shaolin, Baquazhang and Piqua in his creation. I find Ma yungsheng's originality refreshing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users