NaturaNaturans

On fate and free will

I am an determinist. Since the cosmos and all that have happened, is happening and will happen are depended on each other and the law of cause and effect, I think it is safe to assume that we have exactly zero agency.

Ā 

Both in norse, greek and roman mythology, we find the fates: three women who decide your life, your destiny, before you were born.

Ā«There are exactly three of them, and their names suggest their ability to construct the content of time: one is Urd (Old NorseĀ UrĆ°r, ā€œThe Past,ā€ and a common word for fate in and of itself), the second Verdandi (Old NorseĀ VerĆ°andi, ā€œWhat Is Presently Coming into Beingā€) and the third Skuld (Old NorseĀ Skuld, ā€œWhat Shall Beā€). They live in a hall by a well (UrĆ°arbrunnr, ā€œWell of Fateā€) beneathĀ Yggdrasil, the mighty tree at the center of the Norse otherworld, which holds theĀ Nine WorldsĀ in its branches and roots.[2]Ā»

IMG_1194.thumb.jpeg.2d03448b1a5117b6c7bd6868ac007bc0.jpeg
https://norse-mythology.org/gods-and-creatures/others/the-norns/

Ā 

This standaĀ in contrast to the abrahamic faiths, where heaven and hell is based on what you choose, and theologians agree that Ā«the problem of evilĀ» is answered by God giving humans free will.

Ā 

Instead of seing determinisim as something depressive, I find it immensly liberating and interresting. For one thing, there is no room for guilt, sinceā€¦ it was going to happen regardless. Secondly, as I heard in an interview by Yuval Noah Harari, it can open the door for self discovery, because you become an observer of yourself, and not an active agent.

Ā 

Thoughts? Does your tradition take a stanceĀ on free will vs. determinism?

Ā 

Edited by NaturaNaturans