Sign in to follow this  
S:C

Searching text on when lying is beneficial and not opposing the precepts

Hello there text study fellows,

for whatever reason I got curious on why and/or under which circumstances lying is deemed acceptable and is not opposing the precepts. 

My forgetful brain reminds me there must have been a discussion, where Mahayana Buddhism sided for lying being acceptable while the other branches sided it being unacceptable no matter what. 

Now, does anyone know which author wrote about it or at which time or circumstances this was debated? 

Answers to this matter I would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by schroedingerscat

Skillful means (upaya) 

There's a story of the Buddha pretending to a child that he had candy in his hand. The child was playing near a well or somewhere dangerous where they were likely to fall and die, the child's life was saved but the Buddha didn't actually have any candy with him.

Lotus Sutra introduces the concept that 4th stage arhatship is not the end of the road, and there is actually more to be done on the path of Bodhissatvahood and ultimately becoming a Buddha. The Buddha shared the arhatship model as a skilful means to get people to cultivate, with the idea being that if they were told they had to work towards Buddhahood from the beginning, they would choose not to cultivate at all

So, lying to save people's lives or lying for their greater benefit at the end of the day... but the hard thing is without having some level of attainment, you don't actually know when it is best to 'lie' or apply skillful means. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this