Sign in to follow this  
LivingLight

AURORAS IN THE USA

I love SpaceWeather.com

Earth's magnetic field is reverberating from the impact of a CME on Feb. 26th. Its arrival brought a gust of solar wind blowing faster than 800 km/s (the highest value in years), and triggered a strong G3-class geomagnetic storm. Rocky Raybell photographed the light show from Keller, Washington:

washington_strip.jpg

"The auroras appeared at 7:15 pm PST," says Raybell. "They were so bright, I was able to capture the red colors with only a 3-second exposure (ISO 3200)."

The lights spread across multiple US states including Oregon, Minnesota, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana, New Jersey and North Dakota. At maximum, the lights descended as far south as Colorado.

"Here are two of my good friends and co-workers witnessing their first ever auroras--in OHIO, of all places!" reports Marybeth Kiczenski, who photographed the display from the edge of Lake Erie:

ohio_strip.jpg

"What a special night!" says Kiczenski. "We were able to see the auroras naked eye, even through the moonlight and light pollution!"

Europe experienced a good display, too. "It was aurora madness!" says Ruslan Merzlyakov of Nykøbing Mors, Denmark. "Auroras blew up the sky!" reports Conor McDonald of Doire, Ireland. "And here in Germany it was a mega-event," adds Heiko Ulbricht of Herzogswalde, Saxony.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this