Chanting Om correctly will bring Yin an Yang together and produce light over time.   If someone says they saw light - this usually means they saw Qi generate Shen.
  If they say they saw God or simply can’t speak or describe what they saw - then they probably saw Shen Ming.   While seeing light with eyes closed is a strange experience - experiencing Shen Ming is on a whole different level. In this case you’re going through the Xuan Men (mysterious gate) and seeing the light of your primordial spirit.   Seeing the ‘manifest’ light is different to seeing the ‘primordial’ light… but usually you’d see the manifest light for a time before the primordial one comes through.  
I was clumsy with words     A teacher will confirm that you have achieved say the 1st Jhanna - not when you’ve experienced the state, but when you’ve stabilised it and can enter it reasonably predictably.   First experiencing it and ‘achieving’ it  can be many years apart. (Or can even never happen.)   For many of the pure Jhanna-based systems (which is not my main lineage) Jhanna is used as a preparation for death. The idea is to enter Jhanna at the moment of death - and this will impact the process of transmigration. 
  If you can’t enter Jhanna predictably you can’t use it in this way - as far as I understand it, that’s why ‘achieving’ it is emphasised.   This also brings up questions (it did for me)… what if you die suddenly from an accident!? My understanding is that then you’re out of luck… which explains the need for monastic life which makes accidental death a little less likely.   Daoism is a little different in that (apologies for completely mixing very different traditions and mental models) - in that it builds what you might call a ‘Jhannic body’… you effectively create form out of the formless on a higher level of existence. A form that is as ‘real’ (and energetically ‘dense’) as your physical body.   When death comes, your consciousness is automatically pulled to the higher state - in the way that gravity pulls an apple to the ground. And this is how transmigration is affected.
    • Thanks