Sign in to follow this  
Astennu

Help with Santi Posture

Hello everyone,

I'm Astennu, I've been practicing Qigong for a few years, 10-30 minutes per day, nothing too serious but I definitely see benefits when I practice regularly (along with semen retention) and have learned to sense qi and move it to different points in my body etc.

The main reason why I made an account here is to ask:

Is there a good alternative to the Santi posture for the same mental benefits? I really like the mental benefits from holding this posture, even for a couple of minutes, but it's killing my knees. As I already have damaged ligaments in my left knee (no arrow jokes please ;)) and a small leg length discrepancy, I'm worried that it could do some additional harm in the long run.

So again, the primary reason for practicing Santi posture for me is not martial arts application, but the mental focus and confidence etc. It pretty much eliminates procrastination.

I would prefer a seated position as well, as I think that holding a standing posture for too long is not good for knees even with less difficult positions, unless you have perfect balanace.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts, thanks.

Welcome to the Tao Bums.  A wonderful forum to learn, discuss and cultivate.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and make some friend along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads asking questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

Michael and the TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

We've got a fair amount of Tai Chi and Qi gongers to give you advice.  Sometimes too many. 

my own 2 bits is wondering if there's a gentle exercise to strengthen the weak points.  maybe til then, stay til some discomfort, then back off?  See what those more experienced say.  In Karate its said 'You're only strong as your horse (stance)."  But that's no reason to cripple the animal. 

Sign in to follow this