but each one, its own state, is beyond

the limits of the mind.

there is no concept that can define

the condition of "what is"

but vision nevertheless manifests:

all is good.

everything has already been accomplished,

and so, having overcome the sickness of effort,

one finds oneself in the self-perfected state.

this is contemplation.

-Vairocana

just wanted to share this short dzogchen poem here, as i found it very daoist in essence.

Norbu Rinpoche, in The Supreme Source draws parallels between zen and ch'an and dzogchen, but none with daoism. he goes on to say

The true path of the Dzogchen practitioner is contemplation. In fact, it is only when we are in contemplation that all the tensions of body, voice, and mind are finally effortlessly released; until we discover and abide stably in this state, our experience of "relaxation" will be incomplete. Contemplation can be tied to an experience of clarity, or of bliss, but its state is one alone: the instant presence of rigpa.

• Like 1

it is my understanding that "contemplation" here is what most people think of as "meditation" and not the western idea of contemplation which involves working with a concept or passage of text. i think the latter is a new world thing because even in the catholic tradition contemplatio as i understand it is actually aimed at apprehending god directly, so in many ways im sure that that is the same as the nondual state, except that it is deified.

same in early christianity with theoria, the point was not to think about god it was to actually have a vision of god or experience a state of mind which was divine.

"In Christianity, contemplation refers to a content-free mind directed towards the awareness of God as a living reality. This corresponds, in some ways, to what in Eastern religion is called samadhi." -from wikipedia page on contemplation

Edited by konchog uma