About Twenty years ago I bought a book by Hua-Ching Ni, the Workbook for Spiritual Development of all People, and found this on p. 109, and after reading it I thought “I like this!” and proceeded to recite it as part of my own practice.   The Golden Light Invocation   The mysterious origin of Heaven and Earth is the source of pure energy. With this energy I can rectify the imbalances and communicate with the entirety. Within and without the three spheres of the universe, only the Tao is most revered From the Tao I receive the subtle Golden Light to envelop and protect my body and soul It is so subtle that it cannot be seen or heard. The subtle Golden Light permeates Heaven, earth and me. It nourishes and educates all life. I touch this Heavenly invocation with deepest sincerity. All spiritual beings gladly guard me. All high deities of the five Directions come to assist me. All the Divine Immortals kindly accept me. The Golden Light enables me to transcend all worldly troubles. I am given power over all evil forces The enlightenment comes from the Divine immortals like thunder breaking the dark clouds. They inspire my clear wisdom to see through all things that are obstacles in my way. My upright chi is shining and active. - May the Jade Marrow of Heaven fill my bones. May the holy medicine of immortality grow within me. May the spiritual resources always reach me. I truly know the holy medicine of immortality is colorless and flavorless. After 10,000 repetitions of this invocation, the wonderful secrets of all supernatural Beings become self evident to me. From the Jade Emperor, the Everlasting One of the Universe. may his Golden Light descend and guide me.
  The only thing I didn't like about it was the line beginning “I touch this . . . “, which didn't seem like good Engish, whereas everything else in it was beautiful, rich and evocative English, so I replaced touch with feel to read the line as “I feel this . . .”, and after that I could recite happily, and did so quit a bit.   At the about the same time I got Stephen Bokenkamp's Early Daoist Scriptures, and became fascinated by the final section on a Daoist scripture he called The Wondrous Scripture of the Upper Chapters on Limitless Salvation. As I recited the above “invocation” I would have insights into it and some of them echoed ideas that I read about in Bokenkamp's book, also it started to sound eeirily familiar, and I finally realized that it reminded me of something that I had read years earlier in John Lagerway's Taoist Ritual in Chinese Society and History and after a little digging I found it on p. 86:   The Golden Light Hymn   Mysterious ancestor of heaven and earth, Root of the myriad energies. Widely practiced for eons: Guarantor of my spirit-communication. Within the Three Realms and without, I alone am the honored one: Its body gives off a golden light Which envelops and illumines my person. Neither visible to the eyes Nor audible to the ears, It contains heaven and earth And nourishes all life. Having sung this ten thousand times My body becomes luminous, The Three Realms wait upon me, The Five Emperors welcome me. The myriad gods pay homage before me; I put the thunder and lightning to work: Demons and fiends lose courage, Imps and sprites disappear. In it dwells the thunder, The thunder god who appears and disappears. Universal wisdom interpenetrating, The five energies soar on high. Golden light, appear quickly: Cover and protect the Perfect Man.   Yes I thought the similarities are definitely there, but what differences, Hymn, ha, this is pretty obviously a thunder magic incantation! I wondered, are these translations of the same text, or are they translations of different, but related texts? Time provided the answer to this and other questions and shortly so will I.   With all this some people are probably wondering what all this has to do with the “secret sauce” that Kenobi was wondering about. Well . . .  everything, I am trying to explain the ingredients and that takes a little time and background, someone who really pays attention to what I am saying will discover that I am not only tossing him a life jacket, but an inflatable raft. Whether he or anyone else is able to figure out how to inflate that raft is another question, but like a good story teller I know how to keep my audience interested, well, at least I hope I know how to keep my audience interested.   ZYD     P.S.  This, with the exception of italicized text, is all the same font and size in OpenOffice, the word processor that I use to prepare longer posts, but paste it in here and its all different.  Growwwl.