Sign in to follow this  
Desert Eagle

Breath control and counting it

I have come across several breath control information that involves regulating your breath to a number of seconds. Most recently I read this article from the golden flower which calls for a 4 second inhale, 4 s holding and 4 s exhale. It also said that you can regulate your breath by 4 steps during walking instead of counting. Well I need more details so here are some scenarios and questions to show the level of detail I need:

1- Should I imagine the progression of seconds in my mind while trying to regulate the breath and thereby focusing on 2 things at once?

2- Should I bring a clock and try to regulate my breath to the visual movement of seconds and still be focusing on 2 things at once?

3- While attempting to "regulate my breath" what should I be focusing on or sensing? Please assume that my subconscious breathing patterns have gone wrong and I need to relearn everything.

4- Are there emotional blockages that might severely affect a normal breathing pattern? and if so, how to overcome them?

The only time I remember my breathing being deep and regulated is when it was indirectly imposed while running or when swimming the windmill. I tend to hold my breath in to keep my energy on the ready for any high intensity activity or thinking.

best regards,

DE

I have come across several breath control information that involves regulating your breath to a number of seconds. Most recently I read this article from the golden flower which calls for a 4 second inhale, 4 s holding and 4 s exhale. It also said that you can regulate your breath by 4 steps during walking instead of counting. Well I need more details so here are some scenarios and questions to show the level of detail I need:

1- Should I imagine the progression of seconds in my mind while trying to regulate the breath and thereby focusing on 2 things at once?

2- Should I bring a clock and try to regulate my breath to the visual movement of seconds and still be focusing on 2 things at once?

3- While attempting to "regulate my breath" what should I be focusing on or sensing? Please assume that my subconscious breathing patterns have gone wrong and I need to relearn everything.

4- Are there emotional blockages that might severely affect a normal breathing pattern? and if so, how to overcome them?

The only time I remember my breathing being deep and regulated is when it was indirectly imposed while running or when swimming the windmill. I tend to hold my breath in to keep my energy on the ready for any high intensity activity or thinking.

best regards,

DE

hi deserteagle - i've always gone with taoist texts which advise that controlled breathing causes a strain,

and interferes with 'giving over' to the inner self in meditation.

however there are numerous health benefits imputed to breath control in practices such as hatha yoga pranayama. the yoga that i do was osteopath-prescribed, not requiring breath control, so i avoid it as best

i can at all times.

google 'breath control', and 'pranayama' for pertinent info/instructions. good luck with it.

Try this:

make an audio recording of yourself doing a 4:4 breath! Then listen to it as you follow along.

80% of your attention should be on the sensations - 20% on the sound... over time try and move to 100% on sensation and see if your breath still matches the 4:4 rhythm.

Personally that's too much control for me

:)

You must first understand the reason why you are counting your breaths. Is it to replace your mental noise - self-talk?

Certain breathing methods like 1 count in, 4 counts hold, 2 counts out, have been proven to target thing ssuch as the lymphatic system (in this particular example), but they are ratios, not exact time periods. I believe the GFM thing you are speaking of is a banal expression of th emind in order to stop mental noise. Personal practices have shown me that it is enough simply to concentrate on the breath, but that may not be the case for you.

I do not think GFM has any scientific reserach into 4 seconds in/out being some sort of perfect breathing time. And I would much rather not be thinking "1234" all my day long.

4 seconds is going to feel very different depending on how calm and relaxed your breath is, and how "in practice" you are with it.

Hey Desert,

I really enjoyed this website. Try out the universal breathing room. You can listen to the sound on an inhale and exhale, and watch when it says "breathe in" and "breathe out". It takes away from concentrating on counting at the same time. I think you'll like this!

http://www.breathetogether.net/

:)

That was kinda my point - I remember when you found that site and I tried breathing along with it, I felt like I was hyperventilating after 45 seconds or so. Different folks will have different optimal rates of respiration! :)

We live in a very empirical culture. We use numbers to describe things, we use flowcharts and processes to improve ourselves and our productivity, our efficiency. All day long I look at numbers and charts, creating new formulas to get to where I want to be quicker.

Meditation ... or just breathing is supposed to be a break from all of that. No numbers, no words, just quiet.

I sit for as long as my day will allow (never long enough) just simply breathing deep but comfortably. If a thought comes in and it occupies me, when I discover it, I let it go. If I feel that I have quieted my mind significantly, I will begin to move some energy or I may contemplate decisions I have to make or may have to make. You make good decisions when your mind is quiet.

Numbers and formulas may work for some and that's great. I like peace and quiet while I sit.

It just started raining, I'm heading out to sit in the rain.

Different folks will have different optimal rates of respiration!

True...I actually don't practice or advocate controlled breathing. My opinion is that the best pranayama is whatever the body does naturally...even if inhalation is a bit longer than exhalation, or vice versa.

But I like the website anyway. :lol:

Sign in to follow this