Sign in to follow this  
Thunder_Gooch

Must See: The Story Of Stuff

First premise of this vid, "its not that simple" ...then...here, let me oversimplify everything as a way to make us look and feel bad, like the oh so very bad people that we are.

/puts plastic bag over head

Its sad but true. I have a lot of money, but I can see it.

What is it most of the native species in the states is extinct... Most of the species of animals now here were introduced?

It may be more interesting just to see what happens after the fact maybe an Easter Island of sorts.

I stopped it at seven minutes.

Just couldn't take it any more.

Thanks for sharing none-the-less though.

Happy Trails!

First premise of this vid, "its not that simple" ...then...here, let me oversimplify everything as a way to make us look and feel bad, like the oh so very bad people that we are.

I don't think she's trying to make us look bad, just that we should become more aware. Consumers are sort of victims here too.

The video is simple because, well, it is a linear model. :( .

The key part about all this is that it's not as much about the environment as the people. The whole model is harmful to us, physically and psychologically.

Edited by Lucky7Strikes

I don't know why anyone would have got complaints about that video. It's a great little video. Very informative. After reading the comments I was expecting some kind of horrific images or some such thing, as it turns out it's simply common knowledge stuff known by most people the world over yet with a bit more detail. I really liked it.

Thanks Pye

One of my teachers in high school showed me this video.

Anyone who cares about the earth, yet scoffs at this video, needs to meditate on their beliefs.

This is the reason liberals invented the science of ecology; to make people look bad, to shame them and try to pull off a feat of social engineering by making people feel guilty about our right to buy stuff.

This is the real beef I have with Asian thought in general. It focuses way too much on organic connectedness, on some idealized notion that we are all part of some sort of life-generating matrix. They have all these lofty notions about how we all owe our existence to some kind of earth mother nonsense, that somehow we all are equally deserving of the fruits of nature.

The world is an infinite resource. Liberals want everyone to think that the world is finite, that oil and water and natural resources are somehow limited. This is communism disguised as "taking care of the planet," getting us to kill our economy by not consuming so much. The world is not running out of resources. If we use up our oil, scientists will create new sources of energy. The only reason they don't now is because it's still cheaper to get it from the Middle east. Either that, or Jesus will come back and fill up the oil wells. My guess is that he'll replace the glaciers, take the excessive CO2 out of the atmosphere and the oceans (if there really is any), replace the topsoil and stem the loss of biodiversity (as if non-human life had some sort of inherent value, another communist idea).

I swear, if people just kept their mouths shut and did what they were told, we wouldn't have all these problems. Thank God we have Glenn Beck and Anne Coulter to explain it. We need stuff!

I don't know why anyone would have got complaints about that video. It's a great little video. Very informative. After reading the comments I was expecting some kind of horrific images or some such thing, as it turns out it's simply common knowledge stuff known by most people the world over yet with a bit more detail. I really liked it.

Thanks Pye

Go dig up the rebuttal, it points out the thousand inaccuracies, blatant falsehoods, and overt biases present. You do realize who made this vid, dont you? Now I'm one to say pay attention to the message and not the messenger, but with a moldy swiss cheese message and messenger hellbent on pushing the US into ideas that would make our founding fathers roll in their graves, shooting the messenger and the message is appropriate here.

Go dig up the rebuttal, it points out the thousand inaccuracies, blatant falsehoods, and overt biases present. You do realize who made this vid, dont you? Now I'm one to say pay attention to the message and not the messenger, but with a moldy swiss cheese message and messenger hellbent on pushing the US into ideas that would make our founding fathers roll in their graves, shooting the messenger and the message is appropriate here.

I don't know who made the video or what political agenda they may or may not have. I'm not American. I'll have a look for the rebuttal. But you are making an assumption that this relates only to your country, but it does not. My country is just as much to blame; I assure you I'm no 'slappy happy' environmentalist. I do not take the video as simply a U.S issue, although, yes, there are many points specifically focused on the U.S within it.

I can't say I think consumerist driven capitalism is the best way to go, but then again it is much better in practice than communism, which ideologically is all very nice, but in actual use doesn't quite work. I do however think it's a bit much to label everything related to perhaps people not consuming too much as 'red', that was when, the fifties? And I should say sorry Joeblast, you didn't mention 'red' or 'communism', it was simply a follow on though from a post I read previous to yours.

I will watch the rebuttal.

Sign in to follow this