Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

recent meditation & brain study

Thanks for posting that :) Just last night was trying to find articles to show to my girl on how meditation changes your mind. I'll pass this along for her to read :)

I enjoyed this article, but had several problems with it:

A) They claim that the ability to be tranquil with emotions and mindful has to do with the brain structure... something that has been physically permitting us to do that.

In my opinion: [/i]false[/i] ! If my friend criticizes me and calls me a JERK to my face, I can CONSCIOUSLY (and DO consciously) choose how to respond. Sometimes I like jokingly to argue - so I respond. Sometimes my response is silence, I acknowledge it, and it passes right through me - no energy given to it.

They seem to attribute it to something that normal people can't do - which is totally and utterly false. I cognitively change how I respond to things every single day by self awareness.

No doubt it's interesting to see that meditation changes the physical structure of the brain, but in my opinion the benefits of meditation aren't something that can be quantified ;).

Edited by DaoChild

Thanks for sharing Yoda.....I'm passing it around as we speak....uh, as I type.... :blink: :wink:

Love,

Carson :D

This stuff is just begging to explode. First of all, meditating is not the same thing as emotion control. Emotion control requires not just meditation practice, but intention and resolve to control one's emotions. This is probably very applicable and very true of a certain class of meditators, but I say not all. It all depends on the surrounding framework and the role the meditation plays for the practitioner.

It's kind of like saying that people who are physically stronger tend to be more gentle. That's probably true, because they feel more secure and feel less need to try to assert themselves physically, hence gentleness. But the flip side is, should they become violent, strong people are a lot more violent.

So a meditator who loses control of their emotions can be vastly more emotional than a non-meditator. That can very well be the flip side of a certain class of meditation practices. Etc.

What I am trying to say is, this study is like one data point. A stab in the dark. It's not entirely useless and it's not nothing, but I wouldn't conclude anything based on it. And I certainly don't feel like my practice has now been somehow validated or bolstered thanks to this study.

What I am trying to say is, this study is like one data point. A stab in the dark. It's not entirely useless and it's not nothing, but I wouldn't conclude anything based on it. And I certainly don't feel like my practice has now been somehow validated or bolstered thanks to this study.

Thanks, you explained it a lot better than I did. That's essentially what I meant too ;)

Thanks for posting the link to this article! I found it quite the most interesting :) Hopefully I can get this passed on to my friend here pretty soon if my internet connection wasn't so spotty...

All the best,

Cyril

Sign in to follow this