froggie

'alternative explanation' of 'emptyness'

When reading about the methods explained in this topic http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=5395

"1. Cleanse Heart Mind

2. Small Water Wheel

3. Incubation

4. Large Water Wheel

5. Cultivate Infant

~Temper Emptiness to Gain Accordance with Tao ~"

I thought there is a nice 'alternative explanation' on the definition of 'emptyness' in this video:

http://www.consciousmedianetwork.com/members/dicke6.htm

Epmtiness refers to clarity, for the mind to be clear it must absent of thought and clouding emothions which is why the chinese character for emptiness was used, but in english the word clarity would be more accurate for the meaning they wish to convey.

sorry for the spelling I was typing fast

just to clarify, this is not what the Buddhist emptiness means.

same word, different meaning. what you are talking about seems to be a state of no-thought.

just to clarify, this is not what the Buddhist emptiness means.

same word, different meaning. what you are talking about seems to be a state of no-thought.

Yes... Taoism, Buddhism, and other teachings on Emptiness differs. In non-Buddhist systems it's likely refering to a thoughtless state, or the all pervading 'formless' presence, which is not what Buddhism meant (in buddhism emptiness refers to dependent origination), so there is indeed many definitions and not just a single one.

nice explanation and replies, thank you.

maybe it would be better to say something like there is an interesting theory in that video that goes into talking about states not very known, understood and talked about.

Edited by froggie

Ah I see, what then exactly is dependent orgination ? As I am unversed in that topic would greatly appreciate a clarification.

For a more theoretical exposition, see Non-Dual Emptiness Teachings by Dr. Greg Goode; for a more experiential narration, see the subsection "On Emptiness" and "On Maha" of the post "On Anatta (No-Self), Emptiness and Spontaneous Perfection".