Owledge

Energetical view on yawning

Is there an explanation of the process of yawning (what and why) from an energetic view?

Great question, actually. Yawning can happen a lot more with increased energy flowing through the body.

I don't really know the exact mechanism...but it should be pretty simple if you just research the body's signal to inhale. It seems to be a compensation for decreased oxygen levels in the blood...or something along those lines.

Great question, actually. Yawning can happen a lot more with increased energy flowing through the body.

I don't really know the exact mechanism...but it should be pretty simple if you just research the body's signal to inhale. It seems to be a compensation for decreased oxygen levels in the blood...or something along those lines.

agreed, too much thinking, not enough breathing, for starters.

This is interesting I don't know what it has to do with energy exactly but I know it has alot to do with the diaphragm, and I play blues guitar and sing a little, and I met a voice coach one time that said yawning intentionally is a great way to open up and relax your belly. Singers must breathe very deeply and fully, so it likely fits right in with meditation. However, I must say that I was told that you should not yawn or be very sleep after meditating as I was taught this indicates you were not being aware enough and drifting during your practice.

through energy work you can prevent yawning...

My Kung Fu teacher whom always used physiology on me, every time when i would be practicing slowly not very into it, (definately a lack of some sort of energy or energies) that I would find myself yawning... the moment i would be a second or two into the yawn he would say loudly... Are you tired? I would say no... Then he would say strongly... with some sort of change in energy would also happen... then practice... With the change in energy... i would immidately stop all yawning as if I no longer needed to.

Although I may not know exactly what it is... I know Yawning is linked to some energy... and I'm sure through the study of TCM you could easily figure out how to keep yourself from yawning.

(this really isn't much of a big deal also by the way)

I'm sure if you look deeply into it you will find your answer. :)

Is there an explanation of the process of yawning (what and why) from an energetic view?

Yawning and sighing are both mechanisms to clear Qi stagnation - chronic, frequent yawning is a sign chronic stagnation in the Lung Network, Liver Network or both.

One of the causes: "too much thinking, not enough breathing, for starters."

What yawning does is warm the brain as the body cools. If you pay close attention you can actually hear the newly oxygenated blood rush to the head immediately after yawning.

Very interesting multitude of views and information!

Another thought just came to my mind: Could it be the same for the breathing apparatus as stretching is for the movement apparatus? Triggered by the body when regions become stiff due to not using them enough?

Obviously yawning occurs especially when you're tired. Yet, I haven't watched whether we more often forget to breathe properly when we're tired.

Edited by Hardyg

I often get a yawn here and there while doing pranayama..... But it doesn't seem to come only on the in breath OR on the outbreath. I can be halfway through either the in-breath or the out-breath, can be at the bottom or top of either breath and STILL get an uncontrolable yawn. To me this seems to indicate that "lack of oxygen" can not be the cause. Don't know what actually IS the cause though :P

Love,

Carson :D

ROFL, this is true Jedi777.

This is why you should put much more effort and focus if your practicing infront of your teacher (at the very least) and not Yawn.

I mean to help prevent yawning from acuring

Carson,

Breathing actually doesn't have a direct impact on the brain's sense of oxygen content in the blood. Researching the basics of respiration is pretty interesting...

Regarding the comment about energetically pissing in front of a master by yawning...if they're a real master they will respect your need to energetically piss. That's what the path is all about...getting rid of the old! Why hold it in? That's ridiculous, in my opinion.

I don't hold my pee in for someone I respect...I go to the bathroom. Of course, not in front of them...

So I guess the moral of the story is cover your mouth when you yawn? :lol:

If I didn't like someone and they yawned and that made me want to yawn I would hold the yawn back on purpose so as not to be like them;-) Bloody difficult;-)