WhiteTiger

What Daoism do you practice?

Where are your practices originate from?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which main classification?

• Quanzhen
    • Zhengyi
    • Other

Please feel free to post and add comments about your practice and so forth.

I'm very interested in what everyone has to share on the matter no matter how enlightening or unenlightening what you have to say is.

(By me saying this I'm not attempting to egg on any sort of flaming... nor advocating for it. I would like to keep this post as respectful as humanly possible)

You've been here awile... right? Were mostly into Taoist practices and ecclectic Taoist practices. What do those two Chinese words mean? :blink:

There are several branches of sects of Taoism:

Tianshi Dao 天師道 (Way of the Celestial Masters)

Shangqing School 上清 (Supreme Clarity)

Lingbao School 靈寶派 (Numinous Treasure)

Quanzhen School 全眞 (Complete Reality)

Longmen 龍門 (Dragon Gate)

Huashan 華山 (Mount Hua)

Wudang 武當 (Mount Wudang)

Zhengyi 正一 (Orthodox Unity)

I am an adherant of the Quanzhen tradition.

Edit: Check out http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=7945&hl=

Edited by Stigweard

Longmen 龍門 (Dragon Gate)

Huashan 華山 (Mount Hua)

Wudang 武當 (Mount Wudang)

Dont forget : 泰山派: Taishan (Tai Mountain) Bi Xia Ci (Temple of Azure Goddess)

Thank you Darin Hamel for taking the time to post to me.

Sure I've been on this board for a while. I also did research before I posted this poll.

I also thought that this poll may be interesting for others to read on the forum... informative, as i'm also seeking some deeper knowledge about these generalizations of different schools.

Many respectful thanks to you, Stigweard you have been an inspiration for me to be helpful to others without going to such extremes by watching you continuously without stop help out others. "Monkey see, monkey do".

lol

Contrary to the way I make my self sound, I'm not claiming I'm that dumb though. Some of the proporties of monkey styled Kung Fu says how silly they can be as well as how cleaver.

Thank you Lin for taking the time to post here, I should have expected you would post on a subject like this, as you've personally told me (Hope you don't mind me saying) you've practiced from both Quanzhen as well as Zhengyi schools. So, *bow* much respect to you Lin.

I would like to say that because I posted this subject that doesn't mean its my selfish attempt to learn information for myself. But rather to have a discussion about it where hopefully many may benefit from it, and not just me.

Edited by WhiteTiger

Thank you Darin Hamel for taking the time to post to me.

Sure I've been on this board for a while. I also did research before I posted this poll.

I also thought that this poll may be interesting for others to read on the forum... informative, as i'm also seeking some deeper knowledge about these generalizations of different schools.

Many respectful thanks to you, Stigweard you have been an inspiration for me to be helpful to others without going to such extremes by watching you continuously without stop help out others. "Monkey see, monkey do".

lol

Contrary to the way I make my self sound, I'm not claiming I'm that dumb though. Some of the proporties of monkey styled Kung Fu says how silly they can be as well as how cleaver.

Thank you Lin for taking the time to post here, I should have expected you would post on a subject like this, as you've personally told me (Hope you don't mind me saying) you've practiced from both Quanzhen as well as Zhengyi schools. So, *bow* much respect to you Lin.

I would like to say that because I posted this subject that doesn't mean its my selfish attempt to learn information for myself. But rather to have a discussion about it where hopefully many may benefit from it, and not just me.

Peace and Blessings WT!

Taishan Pai is home to Bi Xia Ci, Jade Emperor Temple, and several other Daoist temples along the ways aroud the whole mountain. At the foot of the mountain at the Red Gate and Gate of 10,000 Immortals, is Tiger Mountain Park, and in that park is Wang Mu Chi Daoist nunnery; which whom my Shifu resides and cares for Master Lu's altar. She is from Hua Shan Pai. Off to the waterfall of the temple is a cave where Lu Dong Bin attained his immortality status and helped a Dragon regain its eyesight.

Peace,

Lin

Longmen 龍門 (Dragon Gate)

Huashan 華山 (Mount Hua)

Wudang 武當 (Mount Wudang)

Stig

Arent some of those listed above subsets of Complete Reality - Quanzhen? My teacher has Longmen Pai background among others and he indicated Longmen Pai is part of Complete Reality school, if I remember correctly.

I guess all of the 5 sacred mountains have associated schools. My teacher also has Emei school qigong which he teaches, e.g. Emei Shengong.

So you mentioned Huashan, Wudang Shan,

Lin Mentioned TaiShan

I mention Emei, which Mountain are we missing? And are all these seperate schools or sub sects of Quanzhen or others?

Just curious.

Also, to answer the subject question "What Taoism do you practice".

I would say none.

I currently study Taoist based practices from an advanced lay practitioner. In other words my teacher is not a Taoist priest or monk. He is an advanced Practitioner of multiple Chinese Wisdom Traditions, which encompasses numerous arts. I study what I can from him and build on what I learned from other even less orthodox sources.

I do Taiji. Does that make me a practitioner of Taoism?

I study Yijing. Does that make me a practitioner of Taoism?

I practice meditation based upon Taoist principles - to the best of my knowledge. Does that make me a practitioner of Taoism?

I am pretty sure that Mak Tin Si and also Y M Wong would argue that none of these makes me a practitioner of Taoism, or a Taoist.

I am a westerner trying my best to incorporate these practices of the integral way into my path. I have had some guides who have walked some small distance with me before parting ways. Some with whom I still interact.

I practice the Tao which cannot be named, especially not Quanzhen or Zhenyi or the others Stig mentions. I have some small knowledge which probably derives from these sources and others, but that doesn't make me a practitioner of them. If I wanted to label myself in such a way I don't think it would be accurate. My teacher who is FAR beyond me in knowledge, skill and most importantly experience would probably not identify himself exclusively as a Taoist practitioner either. I think I can only claim to be a westerner seeking knowledge and experience of a wisdom tradition which has attracted me inexorably to it.

Craig

Stig

Arent some of those listed above subsets of Complete Reality - Quanzhen? My teacher has Longmen Pai background among others and he indicated Longmen Pai is part of Complete Reality school, if I remember correctly.

I guess all of the 5 sacred mountains have associated schools. My teacher also has Emei school qigong which he teaches, e.g. Emei Shengong.

There are hundreds of Daoist Sects so it is useless to simply make a list.

Of the schools mentioned by Stig, only Longmen Pai is a derivative (and not a subsect) of Quanzhen.

Best

YM

According to him Emei is NOW a Buddhist sacred mountain, but it was originally one of the 5 Taoist sacred mountains....

Correct. it was one of the Taoist sacred mountains as well as Buddhist sacred mountain.

It was the Jin Ding or Golden Summit Monastery from which Emei Qigong comes from.

My teacher Master Wang Juemin's teacher was grand-master Zhou Quan Chuan, who spent 13 years there with 10th generation grand-master Yong Nian. It is my understanding that Master Wang also spent quite a bit of time there and was friends with Master Nian. Master Wang had invited me to go with him on a sacred journey to that area the year before he ascended. Our plans didn't work out due to my clinic work/ teaching schedule so I never went there.