WhiteTiger

Differnces between Quanzhen and Zhengyi?

I would like to open a discussion about the differences and similarities within the two main types of (1)Daoism.

Generally speaking their are two main classifications of the (1)Daoism. The Quanzhen Taoist sections and the Zhengyi Daoist Sections.

On another post YMWong addressed some things about two classifications of (1)Daoism which follow up the following...

When China opened its doors the Government decided to categorize all daoist schools under two orders: Quanzhen and Zhengyi ~ so in fact most of the daoists were made to 'follow' rules and regulation they did not belong to.

Moreover, the Central Government realized that Quanzhen - being monastic and 'quiet' in nature - would be easier to handle so priority was given to Quanzhen and derivatives.

Those who did not agree with the policy have been practicing in private ever since, so you won't find them at any temple, daoist 'meetings' etc. All others have accepted the policy so most of them had to "re-organize" their Daoist life in accordance to the new regulations. I am not saying here this is necessarily a bad or negative thing, of course, as historically speaking studying with various masters under different schools in one's daoist life was the norm. The difference, however, is that this time it was not a real personal choice :)

YM

Dear YMWong,

I kindly and respectfully recognize the two main schools are classified as Quanzhen and Zhengyi schools of Taoism/Daoist

I was hoping you may be willing to delve a little bit into the biggest differences between these classifications of Taoist/Daoist Schools.

Peacefully and Sincerely,

WTiger

P.S.

(1)Daoism: I call it Daoism because anywhere from 20 to 30 years ago their was no specific difference in western world of classification between the spelling of Taoism and Daoism. Now often times (but not every time) the word "Taoism" refers to Quanzhen, or Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) Taoism. While Daoism refered to more esoteric or more religious types of Daoism.

I kindly and respectfully recognize the two main schools are classified as Quanzhen and Zhengyi schools of Taoism/Daoist

I was hoping you may be willing to delve a little bit into the biggest differences between these classifications of Taoist/Daoist Schools.

Peacefully and Sincerely,

WTiger

Hello WT,

the attempt to categorize Daoist Schools under the two banners of Quanzhen and Zhengyi is in fact an early one, dating from late Song early Yuan when the Quanzhen gained prominance in China under the Mongols and then kept its strength in the Ming under the Han again.

It is, however, more an 'organized simplification' than a factual division. Since very early on Daoist Schools were many and varied, with practices and believes so different that at times collided in history.

In VERY general terms, in any case, Zhengyi's kind of schools are ritualistic in nature and their adherents do not live a monastic life, they have kids (and in fact Zhengyi's transmission is a familiar one) and family.

They have a complex and organic system developed through almost 200 years of history.

Quanzhen's like schools are monastic, their adherents often live in temples, are celibate and observe strict vegetarian diet and very strict buddhist-like rules. These sects are more sincretic in nature and in fact mix buddhism, confucianism and daoism under the same roof. Consider for instance that Quanzhen adherents are required to study and recite a number of Classics some of which buddhist (like the Heart Sutra) or confucians (like the Classic of Filial Piety).

YM