neidan practitioner

A Few Questions for Mak Tin Si

Questions for Mak Tin Si:

1)

Mak Tin Si, on your website it states the following:

"Taoism have been in China for more than 5000 years now."

Lao Tzu was thought to have lived somewhere around the time between 600 to 400 BC,

during the Eastern Chou dynasty, I believe. According to what I have read, Taoism

was not not yet a formal religion at this time period, and Taoism did not become

a formal religion until about 142 AD, when Chang Tao-Ling (Zhang Daoling) created

the 'Five Pecks of Rice' Taoist sect, also referred to as the 'Celestial Masters' sect.

It seems that the practices of this sect are similar to what you practice, honoring Deities

and Gods, using Fu for protection and healing, and using ceremonies to ward off evil spirits and such.

Prior to this time period, there appears to be no records of a formal Taoist religion,

but there are records of the shamanic practices of the 'Wu', or Chinese shamanism,

as it has been called. What form of Taoism are you referring to that existed before the

Five Pecks of Rice/Celestial Masters sect, and which goes back 5000 years? Are you referring

to the practices of the Wu?

2)

You also mention on your website:

"After the store is opened, an immortal went into the temple

one day and introduced both Tin-Si to learn under a hidden

immortal who is training in the deep mountain in China.

Both Tin-Si were attuned from the immortal and trained under

this immortal via the Altar. Mak Tin-Si got his poor vision

and hearing improved, while Lau Tin-Si improved her memory

and brain power. This immortal then passed on a very powerful

Taoism energy to both Tin-Si. From then on, both Tin-Si

inherited this old branch of Taoism."

Does this old branch of Taoism referred to here have a name? If so,

what branch of Taoism is it? I am trying to place all of this in the context

of what is known about the history of Taoism.

3)

What is 'Thatch Mount' Taoism, and when did this branch of Taoism come

into existence?

Thanks,

np

Edited by neidan practitioner

Taoism has its roots in shamanic practices that were formed in Siberia.

Ok, what makes you think that it came from Siberia? China had its own shamanism in southern

China, which is also where Taoism seems to have first appeared as well.

Also, Siberia and southern China are not very close together, and we are talking 2500

years ago and earlier, as well. One would think that there probably wasn't a lot of long distance

travel going on back then. :)

Taoism has its roots in shamanic practices ...CORRECT

that were formed in Siberia...NOT CORRECT

Taoism has it's roots in indigenous Shamanic practice.

Siberian Shamanism has it's roots in ancient siberian shamanism.

I think you may be confused because the Siberian culture is often cited as one of the oldest Shamanic cultures, and it has been well documented, and some of the earliest studies of shamanism are about Siberian shamans, and I think the word Shaman comes from Siberian culture.

However, if you only dig a little you will see that "shamanism" exists in all ancient cultures. How one defines shamanism is a subject I will not go into, nor do I feel qualified to do.

I AM confident in saying that Taoism has its roots in the Ancient Shamans worldview and activities of antiquity IN CHINA.

Before we had "civilization" as we know it, before we had religion as we know it, there were those who acted as intermediaries between the physical and the spirit world. In some places they still exist. These are shaman.

I think it would be just as accurate to say that Chinese Taoism derives from Bushmen Shamanic practice as to say it comes from Siberian shamans. Based on the historical evidence it is fairly easy to see that the Chinese had their own shamanic culture up to and interpenetrating with the dynastic period. It is not necessary to say that it came from elsewhere. I suppose though that you could say that Native American Shamanism derives from Mongolian shamanism, but that is really meaningless too.

blah blah blah... I do go on.

Craig

I AM confident in saying that Taoism has its roots in the Ancient Shamans worldview and activities of antiquity IN CHINA.

Before we had "civilization" as we know it, before we had religion as we know it, there were those who acted as intermediaries between the physical and the spirit world. In some places they still exist. These are shaman.

Ok, alas, it was a really long time ago, so I guess it's hard to say for sure now.

Also, yes, one's definition of shamanism is important too. One could use the term

loosely, or try to adhere to some formal definition. Some types of shamanism deal

with the 'lower' spiritual realms, inviting animal spirits to enter the body to try

to gain special powers or abilities, etc., and I could see why a religion might try to

distance itself from such things, while other forms of shamanism seem to be

more oriented to 'higher' spiritual aims and practices.

In the end I guess it doesn't really matter whether it came directly from forms of shamanism and/or

various folk religion practices, or from informal spiritual practices that later became more

formalized. Was just curious. If I work really hard at my cultivation, maybe someday I

can find out for myself. :P

- np -

[Edit: Fixed munged post]

Edited by neidan practitioner

Guest paul walter

It would be good if Mak could clear up some of the lineage questions for those of us wanting to explore his stuff.Paul

Paul,

Everything there is to know is on his website. His story is there.