mewtwo

If illegal drugs were made legal in the united states do you think TCM and other traditional medicines would use them?

illegal drugs used in traditional medicines?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would trditional medicine practitioners use drugs ir they were legalized?

• yes
    • no

So basically I live in the United States and here certain drugs are illegal like marijuana, I got to thinking well i know they were used in chinese medicine for a while. So do you think that if they were legalized that they would be used in traditional medicines?

Remeber post your thoughts to dont just vote.

PS my first poll.

Edited by mewtwo

So basically I live in the United States and here certain drugs are illegal like marijuana, I got to thinking well i know they were used in chinese medicine for a while

i think i remember reading somewhere that an ancient chinese emperor recommended marijuana for gout, though i am not sure how credible that is

i am posting and not voting cause i dont know shit about TCM

As far as MJ goes, its going to be like prohibition: a ton of people are doing it anyway regardless of whether its legal or not. IMHO, decriminalize mj, it does have its medicinal purposes, i.e. headache, nausea...just keep the allowable weight low to discourage habitual use (like that is going to stop those that will make it a habit anyway.)

If parents can connect with their kids and teach them well...I've had more then a few talks with my son over the years, and I've stressed with him that he needs to keep away from all of this stuff esp while growing up and the brain is in its formative years (<25, 30...although, he's 15 now so 10 years is an eternity to him, lol...) - the family drinks moderately, so I've stressed moderation...and then connected that to moderation in everyday life. Make a solid, coherent argument on it...hm, I was just talking about that on another subject :lol:

Keep the hard stuff illegal - I cant see that there would be any medicinal value to crap like cocaine, heroin, ecstasy, etc.

If pot were legalized all sorts of health practitioners would begin recommending its use in the short term, but then its use would fade I think. I've had my share, and while enjoyable, I think its claims as a panacea are a little ridiculous. I'm not saying it couldn't be used for healing -- physical and spiritual, but I think there are better methods out there. To me its always seemed more recreational. Its possible more states will decriminalize it and the Fed. govt won't enforce federal policy as aggressively, but I wouldn't bet on an actual change in federal policy under Obama. Its not a political winner with too many moderates. There is an ex police chief that is lobbying Congress for legalization of EVERYTHING. He says that the more dangerous it is, the more reason for it to be legalized.

I am not emabarrassed about my previous use of drugs. I credit some of the stronger stuff with spritual growth. But I do really believe that long term use isn't all that healthy, and for kids its effects can be devastating to development.

I don't know about TCM and other holistics using illegal "Drugs" persay, but I think if some of the sacred plants that are illegal now were not, they would get more use by said professionals. The ones I am thinking of in particular would be Iboga, Banisteriopsis Caapi vine and some other Harmala and Harmaline sources, some natural sources of DMT, perhaps some strains of Marijuana, Psylocin and Amanita Muscaria mushrooms, Salvia (probably as a tincture not as a "smoke), and peyote. There may be a few others I am forgetting, but these are the ones that come to my mind right away. I know that these all have some theraputic effects if used with proper intention.

Love,

Carson :D

I don't know about TCM and other holistics using illegal "Drugs" persay, but I think if some of the sacred plants that are illegal now were not, they would get more use by said professionals. The ones I am thinking of in particular would be Iboga, Banisteriopsis Caapi vine and some other Harmala and Harmaline sources, some natural sources of DMT, perhaps some strains of Marijuana, Psylocin and Amanita Muscaria mushrooms, Salvia (probably as a tincture not as a "smoke), and peyote. There may be a few others I am forgetting, but these are the ones that come to my mind right away. I know that these all have some theraputic effects if used with proper intention.

Love,

I know very little about TMC, so I can't really say.

I think medical practisioners in general would prescribe certain drugs, like marijuana, more often. I have an Uncle in Colorado who was recently perscribed medical marijuana for his prostate cancer. He says it helps with the nausea and lack of appetite caused by the radiation treatments. As far as heroin, cocaine...etc. I can't really see any medical benefits.

Drugs give you a taste of the enlightened mind (feeling), but do not take care of the necessary steps in quieting the mind to do so, and so are positive in that they allow people to experience there is indeed more to life, but detrimental when used as a means of reaching that way.

Edited by awake

It never ceases to amaze me how people will look anywhere they can to try and justify their drug use. Even funnier, is the "medicinals" people have mentioned in this thread. I would love to hear how hallucinogenics are beneficial to someones health.

It never ceases to amaze me how people will look anywhere they can to try and justify their drug use. Even funnier, is the "medicinals" people have mentioned in this thread. I would love to hear how hallucinogenics are beneficial to someones health.

They've been very successful in treating depression, particularly shrooms. :)

psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, and eating the seeds of some hallucinogenic plants have a very high success rate in relieving cluster headache cycles.

Hi lostmonk....

Not trying to justify anything..... You should try googling "Ibogaine Treatment". They use this one for example in treating opiod (and other drug) addiction. People who have been addicted to heroin and methadone for decades for example, can get clean in literally 7 days with no withdrawals. That's just one of the entheogens I mentioned. They ALL have applications like this. Stigma does noone any good.

Love,

That's funny because it never ceases to amaze me how close-minded people can be. The second when someone says, "hey, this might help with this disease or this pain ... or increase someone's spirituality," the close-minded chorus is, "those are drugs, drugs are bad, drugs can't help with anything, its just a bunch of druggies trying to justify their habits."

A study about a year ago where people that considered themselves to be "religious" where given psylocibin showed that something like 80% of participants said that was the "most spiritual" event of their life.

I don't think that drugs are particularly good for me, but I certainly wouldn't say that anyone that finds remedy through them is justifying a habit. That's nonsense and presumption.

Here is another example of "how hallucinogenics are beneficial to someone's health:" Hallucinogenics helped me to realize that I live in a big world that I don't understand. I have to keep an open mind and remember that what is good for me, isn't necessarily good for everyone else, what is bad for me, isn't necessarily bad for everyone else, and to proclaim that my way is the only way, my beliefs are the only right beliefs is flat out fantasy and spiritually blinding.