Sign in to follow this  
Ya Mu

New Star Trek Movie - All the elements of Tao

Everything from moral choices and destiny, quantum mechanics, space-time continuum, alternate universe, spontaneity versus logic; very Taoist if you look at it from that viewpoint.

HIGHLY recommended.

I cant wait to see it. :)

But I will be sorely tried, because my loyalties to Kirk And Spock run very deep, and I am mortified that they didnt get Shatner into the film at all.

My love for Kirk and Spock is enduring and true. :wub::wub::wub:

I'm a Jean-Luc Picard guy, I can't stand Kirk, he's too coky and Spok is not so cool...

a matter of taste, heh?

Won't give anything away, but the casting choices are downright uncanny.

... and Spok is not so cool...

SPOCK NOT SO COOL ?!?!?!

Surely you jest!

Or you're under the age of 40...

:)

Edited by xuesheng

Or you're under the age of 40...

:)

I am... It took me a really hard time to understand at least one tintsy bit why the heck do all of the old generation love Spok... and cocky Kirk.

Jean Luc has style, and noblesse, and prestige... Loved Deanna Troy. And Data. Worf.

Right, different taste for a different generation. Sorry if I offended your idols. :lol:

I am... It took me a really hard time to understand at least one tintsy bit why the heck do all of the old generation love Spok... and cocky Kirk.

Jean Luc has style, and noblesse, and prestige... Loved Deanna Troy. And Data. Worf.

Right, different taste for a different generation. Sorry if I offended your idols. :lol:

I am old enough to be a trekie of the original but I also liked the "next generation" better.

I believe that this movie will satisfy and IMO surpass the expectations of fans of either one.

Kirk, he's too coky

And that's why he will always be my captain william-shatner-kidney-stone.jpg

But yes, a generation thing, the others were all just faint copies for me, perhaps I also like the less "pc" original. Give me Chekov, Sulu, Uhura, Scotty, McCoy, Spock and James T. any day........

Glad to hear the new movie does justice to the legend. Trek movies are a bit hit and miss :lol:

When I first read about the movie a few days ago and saw a picture of Kirk and Spock, it though: "If those young actors played their roles very authentic, that would be very unexpected and amazing. As much as I love high quality in acting roles, I hate low quality."

A role I really admire due to its authenticity is the teenage Jack O'Neill from that one Stargate episode!

(I could begin about dubbing now, but let's only say that German versions of U.S. films have a very different style. They somehow just don't get the whole style replicated.)

Everything from moral choices and destiny, quantum mechanics, space-time continuum, alternate universe, spontaneity versus logic; very Taoist if you look at it from that viewpoint.

HIGHLY recommended.

You know what's also very taoist? ... Everything! :lol: Edited by Hardyg

You know what's also very taoist? ... Everything! :lol:

Sure, but the movie was more fun than some of the other aspects of everything. :lol:

:lol: Kirk all the way. Not that Picard was a bad captain, but the old crew was way better. :)

Im an old trekky from way back.I loved it.This is a great forum by the way.I have been using the search all day.

Thanks to everyone

:lol: Kirk all the way. Not that Picard was a bad captain, but the old crew was way better. :)

After the movie, while waiting to see if there were any after credits scenes (there aren't, so don't bother waiting) a older gentleman (the only other person still in the theater) walks up and says "Don't take this the wrong way, but...F#$k Picard!" We had a laugh while talking about how good a job they did with the reworking of the OS. It is not very often that a show/movie series can span generations and bring people together in the way these shows (as corny as they may be at times) do.

After the movie, while waiting to see if there were any after credits scenes (there aren't, so don't bother waiting) a older gentleman (the only other person still in the theater) walks up and says "Don't take this the wrong way, but...F#$k Picard!"

I totally understand:

:lol:

By the way, this video is so not my musical taste, but what a creative editing style ... addictive!:

I just saw it! I went to see it on a huge screen. It was fantastic!

I was quite overwhelmed when it turned out to be the old Spock in the snow cave, there to save the young Kirk... really, I was. I didnt know Leonard Nimoy was acting in the film, so it was a revelation to see him, and I love him. And the fact that he was a wise old man in a cave at that point was even better. The fire of youth, the wisdom of age. Or the wisdom of time travel, I guess...

As for Uhura having no curves as a young woman - pah, I dont believe that for a second. It was nice to see Spock kissing, but that was a Quinto Spock. The Nimoy Spock wouldnt do such a thing. :o

I've been watching some of the early episodes of Generations. My votes go to Picard. He has everything Kirk doesn't: style, wiz, authority, compassion. Picard all the way. Immaturity was never in my trends. (Not trying to spoil your party, just call 'em as I see 'em)

:lol:

HIGHLY recommended.

What is Taoist, the script? The characters? I find it hard to believe that anyone who understood and accepted the Daodejing would set out upon a transgalaxy "peacekeeping" mission, i.e. Starfleet.

What is Taoist, the script? The characters? I find it hard to believe that anyone who understood and accepted the Daodejing would set out upon a transgalaxy "peacekeeping" mission, i.e. Starfleet.

As I said, it does depend on one's viewpoint.

Either I really just wanted an excuse to post about the movie in a taoist forum and inserted taoist so I could do so OR I see experiential Taoist elements BIG TIME in the movie. All a matter of perspective, though, isn't it?

As I said, it does depend on one's viewpoint.

Either I really just wanted an excuse to post about the movie in a taoist forum and inserted taoist so I could do so OR I see experiential Taoist elements BIG TIME in the movie. All a matter of perspective, though, isn't it?

Sure it is, unless words have meanings. :P

Sure it is, unless words have meanings. :P

[/quot

e]

I find it hard to believe that anyone who understood and accepted the Daodejing...

These words are meaningless. It is the experience itself that has meaning. If you are looking for a one to one correlation with the words written above, then it may be harder to find; the correlation comes from the experiential and not from a lot of mis-translated books.

Sign in to follow this