Sign in to follow this  
matt007

The Questions are Born of the Answers You Already Have

UG has some very good insights, but he also has some extremely bad delusions as well. He's talking about the human body in very physicalist terms. He talks about the culture as if it exists outside the person. UG is a nihilist, in my opinion.

Nihilism can be interesting for a short time. Nihilism can help to loosen up the knots of mind, but at the same time, nihilism is not really satisfactory for a good life.

So, if you consume UG judiciously and carefully, there can be a lot of benefit. But if you just listen to UG uncritically, you can be brainwashed into a very limited form of nihilism.

If someone has a transcript, I can respond more directly to UG's words. I don't feel up to transcribing UG's video myself.

Definately beware of the nihilists, they will piss on your rug and cut off your johnson.

No maaaan, I'm THE DUDE! :lol:

Great movie, and great point about UG. There's a video on youTube with some of his last words and they're so negative. He seems to get caught up in the "nothingness" of Everything and tends to under emphasize the everything aspect - at least in my limited observation.

Most of the spiritual "authorities" or entertainers as Alan Watts would say, tend to discuss a reconciliation between their newfound perspective and a continued desire to live and lead a meaningful life. UG seemed to have been unable to maintain any love for life after his "calamity." I think it's a reflection of his conditioning and nature and perhaps his neurophysiology. It appears that our human characteristics and basic nature remains even after a profound change in perspective. As the classics say - after enlightenment... the laundry.

Can someone tell me in simple words what his teaching is? I have a slow connection.

Edited by alfa

Can someone tell me in simple words what his teaching is? I have a slow connection.

UG doesn't have a simple teaching. He has many interesting insights and questions. To get a sense of what he's saying, you have to listen or read at least a few pages worth of stuff or 10 mins worth of spoken language.

This is probably true with anything worth learning.

I like what he is saying about how people look for confirmation of their own ingrained ideas, all to often the case, even with myself. hard to unlearn.

Has anybody ever read Madame Blavatsky's Baboon? It gives a strange history of the Theosophist movent and some disturbing revelations therein. Apparently UG was "found" by Leadbeater, on of the movements early leaders, during a search for a new Messiah. The Theosophists were looking for kids all over India thaet they could raise to be a new savior. After several false starts, they settled on UG. The gross thing is Leadbeater was a notorius pedophile. Aleister Crowley also wrote some dirty limericks about him after they had an affair.

So Krishnamurti was taken from his family and raised by the theosophists, must has been weird for him.

Edited by erdweir

UG makes no effort to teach but rather attempts to describe his experience and his level of function following a psychological/emotional/physical event he describes as his calamity. Like Jiddu Krishnamurti, he talks about the fact that no one and no method can ever lead to enlightenment. That misnomer, in his opinion, is something that may or may not occur spontaneously and has nothing to do with spirituality as we generally think about it. He is very humanistic. His description of life after the calamity has clear elements of a non-dual sensibility but is firmly rooted in simple physical existence with no meaningful spiritual level of existence. I find his relationship with JK ironic - he spent a substantial amount of time following and studying JK's teachings then claimed to have disregarded them completely and criticized JK firmly. Nevertheless, his writings and talks are very firmly rooted in JK's ideas. In fact, to me he sounds like a nihilistic J Krishnamurti. It seems to me that he may even have suffered from depression.

erdweir is confusing UG with Jiddu.

oh am i?

yes you are right, i just checked it..

Edited by erdweir

Sign in to follow this