Sign in to follow this  
markern

Five Tibetans

How long does one round of the five tibetans take and about how long does 21 rounds take?

How good is it for building core strength and giving you the ability to move from the core compared to pilates and other methods with a core focus?

What benefits do you get from doing it? How does it effect you energeticly?

Very gratefull for answers

Markern

1.)Dunno. I never made it to 21 so far lol

2.)No idea, as I do not do it for fitness. But definitely builds up strength... see 3. Would not compare it to Pilates as it has its roots in tibetan yoga, which has a different goal (or so I use to think).

3.)My basic (near) every day practice.

Seems to: Balance the energy channels and helps to open the central channel (and keeps it open). Speeds up my meditation on the central channel. I would say the increase of strength and fitness is for a good part due to this. Good for my other practices.

Thank you bakenko!

I want to do it partly for energetic reasons and partly because it seems to emphasize core strength which I realy need. I love pilates and the way it makes by body physicly correct and centered but it does not give me much of teh energetic effect/does not produce so much chi as my yoga does. I want to find practices that does what I feel I need physicly while at the same time producing and balancing chi in a good way.

Realy happy to hear about the central channel. I want to prioritize anything that works it well.

But how much time does one round take?

There is a modified version of the Five Tibetans that is easier to perform yet at the same time produces more energy than the original. Details are in the book "Your Hands Can Heal You" by Stephen Co.

How long does one round of the five tibetans take and about how long does 21 rounds take?

How good is it for building core strength and giving you the ability to move from the core compared to pilates and other methods with a core focus?

What benefits do you get from doing it? How does it effect you energeticly?

Very gratefull for answers

Markern

Less than 20 minutes.

It is unlikely that anyone could use just the 5 Tibetans in place of a full body workout like Pilates (not an endorsement of Pilates, there are problems with that too).

Just a good adjunct to other Qigong and energy work (yoga, meditation ritual) and exercise when it was used. (Not currently with any regularity).

Note: the 5 Tibetans have nothing to do with "regular" Tibetan Yoga. It is quite different as anyone who has practiced both can attest.

Note: the 5 Tibetans have nothing to do with "regular" Tibetan Yoga. It is quite different as anyone who has practiced both can attest.

Without wanting to argue about this:

I have seen some comparison of it with "regular Tibetan yoga" and some exercises were the same (of course I will not garantee that it was correct, because I am not a Tibetan tantric master who knows all practices that ever existed lol). My point would be that no one can know all existing exercises and practices of a system; especially when there are many lineages.

But this is just my opinion.

But how much time does one round take?

I would say 10 to 15 minutes in my case.

Without wanting to argue about this:

I have seen some comparison of it with "regular Tibetan yoga" and some exercises were the same (of course I will not garantee that it was correct, because I am not a Tibetan tantric master who knows all practices that ever existed lol). My point would be that no one can know all existing exercises and practices of a system; especially when there are many lineages.

But this is just my opinion.

I would say 10 to 15 minutes in my case.

It wasn't meant as really a disparaging remark, both systems get some results. It is simply that Tibetan Yoga bases itself off of a very different....physiology (chakra numbers etc.). One doesn't have to "know" all of the Tibetan practices to see that there are no tracable connections, none of the movements even resemble each other. Really the 5 Rites resemble Hindu Yoga more than Tibetan, with a bit of backwards Sufi whirling thrown in.

It wasn't meant as really a disparaging remark, both systems get some results. It is simply that Tibetan Yoga bases itself off of a very different....physiology (chakra numbers etc.). One doesn't have to "know" all of the Tibetan practices to see that there are no tracable connections, none of the movements even resemble each other. Really the 5 Rites resemble Hindu Yoga more than Tibetan, with a bit of backwards Sufi whirling thrown in.

Here is one of the comparisons that I found once:

http://people.tribe.net/sahajananda/blog/7...10-14dd8a45cd06

I don't really care about the "Tibetaness" of the practice, but if the above comparison is not totally fictional "no traceable connections" would not be the whole truth.

Here is one of the comparisons that I found once:

http://people.tribe.net/sahajananda/blog/7...10-14dd8a45cd06

I don't really care about the "Tibetaness" of the practice, but if the above comparison is not totally fictional "no traceable connections" would not be the whole truth.

The parts of the Rites he discusses are the very ones noted above that appear identical to garden variety Yoga asanas. One would expect there to be some flow between the two cultures over time. Either way, most, if not all, traditional Tibetan Yoga schools dispute the claim that the 5 are from their system. The Occam would suggest the initial publisher just put together a few movements from some systems he observed and made a story for it. Because they look, and are practiced so similarly to other practices it is not surprising that there are results, but no one has found any Tibetan monks practicing this supposedly Tibetan set of exercises. Resemblance does not an origin make.

We seem to be in agreement though that the "Tibetaness" is irrelevant. They are still good exercises, especially for those who can't or won't take time for other "more full" sets.

Sign in to follow this