awake

You cannot think about the present moment.

A lot of us are here to control our minds - remove the thought that is classified as "incessant" in that it comes without our willing it so, and thereby achieve enlightenment - no suffering that comes with identification with forms - or at least so I have heard.

Anyway, it occurred to me that you can never think about the present moment. It is true you are always thinking in the present moment, like you are living, doing everything else, and etc throughout the universe. But as soon as you go to think about the present moment, it is no longer the present moment you are thinking about. It is that past moment "encapsulated" in thought, reflected on in the present moment.

I think this interesting logical view is a good pointer that said way is a way to become more present, but also an indicator (as are many renowned figures who testify and whose lives were/are testaments to the fact) that there is a place for ego still once ego has been removed as the controlling force.

Enjoy :)

Yes, the present show no mercy, give you no tolerance, and no wavering. You're either there or your not. Mostly we are not... even if we "think" we are... :rolleyes:

Anyway, it occurred to me that you can never think about the present moment. It is true you are always thinking in the present moment, like you are living, doing everything else, and etc throughout the universe. But as soon as you go to think about the present moment, it is no longer the present moment you are thinking about. It is that past moment "encapsulated" in thought, reflected on in the present moment.

yes you can only experience (feel?) the present

The moment you begin to think, and go "aha! I did it!", you've already lost the stillness and your mind has pervaded the picture again.

You definitely can't control or remove thoughts - you have to sort of casually let them drift away. In my opinion, it's about letting go rather than force or concentration. Passive vs. Active process.

Edited by DaoChild

i wouldnt necessarily call it "control", i think i would use the term fixate the mind or attachment, because to me "control" has the connotation of one thing trying to overpower another, whereas fixation or attatchment implies more of a way of positioning your mind through its own action. maybe i am just being too semantic though :D .

right arm

...that there is a place for ego still once ego has been removed as the controlling force.

right; so i guess the question is: what is the ego trying to control?

i reread what i just wrote and realized what i meant, which didnt seem very clear, is that we are seeking to unfixate the mind and move away from attachment to any given thought not to control thoughts by trying to repress them (which is the connotation that control has for me).

Edited by contrivedname!

Spot on!

So what next?

What next?

I bet there's a big pile of wood that needs chopping, having been neglected while someone was away looking for something that wasn't lost in the first place. :lol:

I feel for sadness. But what I've understood is that most meditation techniques are aimed at realizing structure rather than content.

If content is a big issue, there are other ways of dealing with that. I'm sure some other people here will disagree. I'd actually like to know why they do.

So that's why (I've come to understand) most systems also include compassion-training (I think I have seen a couple on here that don't and I don't think I would go near them)

Edited for last minute thought on why Var and company do secret smile. He's said as much.

Edited by Kate