Sign in to follow this  
voice

vipassana / insight / mindfulness meditation

I'm really getting into integrating "Focusing" with "Inner Smile" and "Fusion".

What I would like next is to integrate those methods with the methods of "empty mind" meditation - whether you call it Zen, vipassana, mindfulness, insight etc.

There are so many books on those forms of meditation. I am wondering what book you have read that you really loved.

What I am hoping for is a book that discusses the technical approach to their method and combines that with personal stories of people working with the method. I am NOT interested in the theory of mind.

thanks,

Chris

Awesome book, Turbo! This thread made me search amazon for meditation and I literally found nothing of interest!!! Zen Mind Beginners Mind by Suzuki is the only book that comes to my mind, but it's not necessarily what this thread is about perhaps.

I hesitate to recommend anything unreservedly just in case it doesn't resonnate. 'Try before you buy' with your local library/inter library loan service

Openness Clarity Sensitivity by Rigdzin Shikpo. Blurb from the back says: "Buddhist practice is not about will-power, control, manipulated calm, stopping thoughts, making the mind blank ... Instead it is about developing stability of mind through appreciating the three qualities of openess, clarity and sensitivity - not just in meditation but also in daily life."

Best to you in your practice, Rex

Mindfulness in plain English is one of the best books ever written on the subject of meditation.......and there are thousands out there.

This is a very helpful link and there is a online meditation course for less than $1 a day http://www.vipassana.com/

So, turbo and 1776 (and I guess now Yoda) all vote for "Mindfulness in Plain English". And the description in Amazon.com does look like the sort of book I was wanting.

"openness, clarity, sensitivity" is unfortunately not in print and is $101 used!

And, yes yoda, "Zen Mind Beginners Mind" is a great book (the first or second spiritual book that I ever read), but not what I am looking for here.

I'm still interested in any other votes people have.

thanks,

Chris

openness, clarity, sensitivity is unfortunately not in print and is $101 used!
It's also available for a scandalous $940 at Amazon UK via a Market Place seller. What a rip off! It's available for 27 Canadian dollars at Amazon UK and Abe Books. Shipping may bump it up though.

I'm really getting into integrating "Focusing" with "Inner Smile" and "Fusion".

What I would like next is to integrate those methods with the methods of "empty mind" meditation - whether you call it Zen, vipassana, mindfulness, insight etc.

There are so many books on those forms of meditation. I am wondering what book you have read that you really loved.

What I am hoping for is a book that discusses the technical approach to their method and combines that with personal stories of people working with the method. I am NOT interested in the theory of mind.

thanks,

Chris

7958[/snapback]

The Secrets of Chinese Meditation I've found is an invaluable manual of Chinese buddhist and taoist techniques and of reports on their effects:

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0877...2879284-7746725

Simon

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this