Sign in to follow this  
awake

What happened to my mind?!?!

I've always had a very powerful mind. I've been able to accomplish much without much work, and quickly.

Since I have discovered meditation, the time when I am not meditating, my mind has become sluggish. This is especially true when I am trying to do schoolwork, and it is becoming very difficult!

I'm having trouble understanding things.. Like taking the information in. Sometimes I just space out and my mind stops working. The irony is , this happens when I don't wna tit to, when I want my mind to shut off, it is a constant struggle with it, but I have increased the time between my thoughts.

The fact that now I am identifying with my breaths, mostly, instead of any thoughts, tells me my ego may be on its last leg of controlling my awareness and perception. And I fear this may be a negative side effect of such a powerful force's control dying away. The problem is, I need my mind now, but I can't seem to apply it very well.

It does not feel right to stop trying to silence my mind yet though - I have not been able to yet - but I fear this may be what is causing my mind to lose functionality.

What am I to do? Please help me!

Edited by awake

I know what you mean.

What you have to do is think of doing the work that you need to do as just another part of your training. Your mind wandering during, say, class, is no different from your mind wandering during meditation. In both cases it's not going where you need it to go. If you truly seek to master your mind/thoughts, then you should be able keep your focus on that class (think of it as a sort of single pointed meditation :))

Or you could just shrug and go "meh" like I do :) (not recommended if you care about stuff :P)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

What style of meditation do you do? There are many types which have many different effects.

The type where you focus on something, then when your mind drifts, you bring back your focus...creates problems for some people.

Silencing the mind can be done in other ways besides sitting down and meditating...you can do an enjoyable activity, like cooking a good meal...you can do puzzles...go for a walk on a nice day. Or just sit down for 20 minutes and do nothing. Pretty much the main thing which will help you progress is not getting all wound up in daily activities on a constant basis. Take some time for a breather...

Just take notice of your surroundings...that's enough!

Taking it slow is much more important than hammering away at a mantra, or forcing your mind to focus on your breathing for example.

338463051_045e6f2099_m.jpg

For a long time I have simply "just tried to quiet my mind"

As it became more still, I discovered the GFM, and am trying to do that now.

I was surprised, when on the second day, I began to notice my breath moving down the back of my asophagus an dup the front. I reverse it like he said, and have been working on that since. I can't hear my breath, but my mind often makes the noise in place of it. In fact just saying these things in concrete form (not to myself) is helping the issues dissolve.

I think you're right Scotty that Im forcing things to happen and thats just causing something bad.

Part of the time I think its just lack of motivation for getting these things done, but its definitely coupled with some other factor.. It feels like a "block"

As for in class, well my classes are very banal and so i often just try and quiet my mind then, practice my meditation with open eyes. In fact most of my life recently has revolved around that. I am able, though, to take in auditory information and respond to it when needed.

It is the written work I am having trouble with. Its like my mind always wants the opposite of what I do. But when I work with the intention of it doing the opposite, it does the opposite of that.......That worked. Wow, verbalizing is good.

I hope it stays so I can focus!

Thanks guys

Awake,

Our fearless webmaster, Sean, taught me this valuable lesson: stop cultivation practice if it kills your clarity... lose that and you won't be able to remember that you once had it! :lol:

Also, there's a good self pacing section in advancedyogapractices.com that's worth checking out.

Good luck!!

Your pal,

Yoda

Well, in complete yin practices (I mean that in the way of movement within stillness) where your only doing sitting meditation or laying down, even a chair. You could easily be missing out on energetic type mind/will practices.

Which may or may not (just trying to be helpful with the knowledge i know) help the situation. Doing some movement exercises, some which would commonly be classified as energetic exercises could help. (Please note i said could help... granted that the energetic exercise is intended to compliment your meditation).

Some common names of Taoist types of energetic exercises would be, Dao-Yin exercises, Tao Yoga Or other things like Dayan Qigoing.

Sloppy Zhang, seemed to be saying similar things just differently. (Trying to put effort to applying changes during you doing your class work a direct solution to the problem, while mine is a indirect one)

Depends what you're doing. My teacher advises people not to start his meditation practices within 6 months of exams as they can get a bit cloudy for a while. But that's a physical thing, based on having to pull downwards and there being a stage of passing through the head. I'm not personally aware enough to know whether I've been through that or not.

Maybe you've been silencing your mind by developing a sort of trance, or otherwise dulling or blurring attention. What folks call mindfulness can be useful, in the sense of allowing the mind to be non-verbally interested in the characteristics of what is perceived. Maybe keeps it bright.

Again, what I'm told, wouldn't know.

Sign in to follow this