Sign in to follow this  
Owledge

Self-healing vs. receiving healing

This is highly philosophical, but maybe you can speak through experience or deep insight.

Do you ever wonder whether a healer has to find a balance between healing people and let them find a way to heal themselves? I mean... this could be connected to the idea of karma, but not necessarily. Some people see illness as karmic, and one could derive from this that finding your own way towards healing is essential for your character/soul/spirit/whatever. On the other hand, healing people is a very emotionally positive thing for the healed and the healer. Furthermore, healing that is delivered by another person doesn't give powers to people so that you have to wonder whether it's wise to do that and need to evaluate the person's character. But it may (re-)enable powers of a person, so character might still be relevant.

This is highly philosophical, but maybe you can speak through experience or deep insight.

Do you ever wonder whether a healer has to find a balance between healing people and let them find a way to heal themselves? I mean... this could be connected to the idea of karma, but not necessarily. Some people see illness as karmic, and one could derive from this that finding your own way towards healing is essential for your character/soul/spirit/whatever. On the other hand, healing people is a very emotionally positive thing for the healed and the healer. Furthermore, healing that is delivered by another person doesn't give powers to people so that you have to wonder whether it's wise to do that and need to evaluate the person's character. But it may (re-)enable powers of a person, so character might still be relevant.

Not that philosophical at all...

Actually, my healer friend says that if she can't heal something in 3 tries (usually it only takes 1, as she is very powerful), she believes it is karmic in nature and stops trying. You just can't fight someone else's battles for them, or at least shouldn't really try to.

So would you say that as long as a healer is capable of adressing and fixing the root cause of an illness, it should be done, and self-healing attempts in these cases are purely optional for the 'tough guys' who want to speed up their evolution by overcoming struggle themselves?

At least that's my feeling about it: The multiplying of happiness outweighs the lack of the abovementioned life experience. Or shorter: It's really soooo nice to be helped :) and there's nothing negative about it ... as long as it is not practiced to the extreme, but that does apply universally.

Edited by Hardyg

It seems that there are many many levels of this. Just listening to a friend vent may be cathartic and help to heal the hurts as well as bring us closer to each other. The laying on of hands and the going to a doctor are other means to the same end.

The Christian Scientists refute the notion of doctors being needed; while some folks spend huge amonuts of time and money with the medical proffessionals...

I for one have not been to a doctor in 15 years. When I turned 40 my mother got me an appointment with a doctor for a check-up. I went to make her happy for my birthday... :rolleyes:

I was fine then and feel fine still....BUT- If I die tomorrow -it would not surprise me a bit ...Fate is seldom a matter of health! People die from a broken heart or an infected tooth...or just because their time is up and they must move on to other realms of being...

In any case stay well- it feels best! :D

There are two issues that I see here. One is should you help those who refuse to help themselves? Another is, should you empower people if you think they won't use the power according to how you think it should be used.

First, I would say that spiritual healers should only bother healing people who also want to heal themselves. If someone consistently and intently lives a destructive life style, and has no appreciation of health, and so takes health for granted and therefore pisses it away, and then runs to you for a quick recharge, that's not so good. It should be explained to such people that receiving healing is good in an emergency, but long term health must come as a result of one's own commitment to a healthy life style. And some problems are just unavoidable, and for those problems that are not avoidable, wisdom should be extracted from them, so that they are not wasted. So for example, if some condition is not yielding to any treatment whatsoever, one should meditate on that condition. Use that condition as a support in meditation. Become wise about it. Gain familiarity of it. Etc. If this is not done, then the disease has been a complete waste of time, and that would be sad.

Secondly, I think you should always empower people, no matter what. If you are too scared to do so, then you should err on the side of empowering more rather than less. But also you should be discerning with regard to various kinds of power. Some types of power are powerful and naturally fairly safe (although nothing can be completely safe), others might be more dangerous. Generally, the more aggressive and violent visualizations and meditations are more dangerous. The more relaxing and peaceful and non-interfering ones are more safe. But at the same time, even the most dangerous danger is not all that dangerous and one shouldn't be too afraid of it. It should be viewed as porridge. Something not pleasant, but you can eat it if you must. And the safest of safe things is not all that safe either. It should be viewed as water, which is safe, except if you drink too much of it, you can die from water poisoning, and you don't want to drop a hair dryer into your bath tub either. Which is to say, don't dwell on the extremes too much and focus on the vision of life as you want it to be, while constantly adjusting your "wants" according to wisdom. And wisdom comes from reflection. That's it.

That's a lot of shoulds, I know.

I want to ask "what do you mean by HEALING?"

Healing can means many things. What type?

In taoism, we do alot of healings too, curing illness, solving problems, spiritual cases, exorcism... what kind of healings are you talking about?

We sure can help ourselves while helping others. No problem at all.

One not well understood as well as not well known aspect of Chinese Medicine is the type of practitioner. There are three types of practitioners.

1) low level

These practitioners are concerned with the body and its diseases.

2) mid level

These practitioners are more concerned with the mind and treatment of mental as well as and physical diseases.

3) high level

The high level practitioner has one one concern, to help the patient find and full their destiny.

I practice the 3rd form. So, the typical client comes in with pains of various types and I do a session which lasts about an hour. But there is another thing in Chinese medicine called going for the gold. It basically means that if you are attempting to make a living from the practice, and wish clients to give you a good recommendation, you had better address their concerns. So 50 minutes of my session is done for high level and then I spend 3-10 minutes taking away their pain that the side effects of the high level healing did not address.

I believe everyone should practice self-healing. I have tried several times to go to a "practice self-healing if you really want these therapies to optimally work for you" type of practice. I got thin during those times. Besides, if you practice high level healing you never interfere with anything if it is not within the clients interest spiritually, mentally, and physically.

Too much of anything can pull a person out of balance. If I spent all of my time projecting to people to double check on them I wouldn't have time to work on myself. Besides, my projection skills are not big yet!

Otherwise healing is the best skill to learn in my opinion. WHat I don't understand is why other people heal so easily, but my own sadness doesn't go away? I found a things to help with that. So as an example. I'm going to work on my physical life, and working out these inner issues before continuing any work on others.

Balance :)

Too much of anything can pull a person out of balance. If I spent all of my time projecting to people to double check on them I wouldn't have time to work on myself. Besides, my projection skills are not big yet!

Otherwise healing is the best skill to learn in my opinion. WHat I don't understand is why other people heal so easily, but my own sadness doesn't go away? I found a things to help with that. So as an example. I'm going to work on my physical life, and working out these inner issues before continuing any work on others.

Balance :)

I believe things are the way they are for a good reason. That doesn't mean they should stay like that by any means, but I mean that if you are sad, it's not just some stray feeling barging in or some chemical imbalance. There is some meaningful cause behind it.

Sadness is a feeling that tends to arise when there is a vision that's not being fulfilled and at the same time there is a sensation of hopelessness, so not is it not being fulfilled, but it seems like it won't ever be fulfilled. It's a mild feeling, almost peaceful surrender into hopelessness. If it wasn't mild, then it would be anger instead of sadness.

That's how I see sadness. And sadness tends to lift when one of two things happens, or a little bit of both: a) you realize it's not hopeless and/or B) you accept things as they are (lowering ambition).

Edited by goldisheavy

Mak_Tin_Si

By "healing" I mean all kinds of health-beneficial treatment/aid, but I guess in the context of this thread it could also include general life help ... problem solving.

Thank you all for your comments. I guess the short answer is - like in so many cases - to just follow the heart and instinct, right? :)

Edited by Hardyg

Sign in to follow this