Vajrasattva

Dr. Morris's Secret Smile & Breathing basic KAP 1 (Giri for the Tao Bumbs : ) )

bumping up my old post in hopes I'll get back into the groove.

So simple but yet one of the most powerful exercises there are for internal energy development. Dr. Morris told me once a Buddhist Monk said to him, "why are you teaching this process to beginners? We make them wait several years before we teach this."

• Like 1

Bump :-)

Good for getting all bodily cells to vibrate in harmony.

I find internally laughing continously is enough to keep that vibe going :-)

Bump :-)

Good for getting all bodily cells to vibrate in harmony.

I find internally laughing continously is enough to keep that vibe going :-)

laughing massages the LDT :)

I was reading through this thread and noticed that this information is not included so I'm going to add it here for a bit of an extra boost to the secret smile. There are a few safety points Morris spoke of that can be useful when the energy becomes too intense or trapped in the head. 

1) The wellspring of life points on the bottom of the feet are used as a ground and can be used to shed excess energy. This point is also very useful for dealing with the 'fuzzy head feeling'  

2) The back of the knee can be used to hold energy. 

3) The meng mein, the point on the back opposite the Dan tien is used to send energy down, and is useful for preventing energy headaches or discomfort, use this point in conjunction with the wellspring of life to release excess energy. 

4) The Dantian two finger widths below the navel is used to store energy and after each meditation the energy should be brought back there, and rotated first clockwise then counter clockwise for men, and the reverse for women. 

***Spinning the energy in the dantian after the meditation is extremely important according to Morris, who suggests that it could be done 81 times because of the Buddhist magic 9x9.***

Initially this meditation can cause feelings of anger, agitation, depression, blockages in the heart and throat chakras, headaches and old problems rising up. This eventually passes, and must be endured, and is referred to as the 'way of endurance' 

I made a similar post to this in a different thread, but have updated and added a bit to it, and feel that it is very relevant information to this thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wow this tread appears to have become pretty dead, I'm re-reading pathnotes and really loving the story and narrative, feeling connected through Dr morris to his students. Are there any of his past students on here? I'd love to talk shop, being an avid martial artist and experimenting with the esoteric side myself. Plus it would be nice to know if the Doc's self description and some of his stories really hold up to other peoples experience of him.   

It teaches one to manage personal energy, to connect with external energy, and then handle that energy when it responds to you.

Edit: P.S. Sorry! Looks like I was answering the wrong question from the wrong person.

Edited by rex
  • Like 1

why is this such a big deal

because i'm a curious guy, and always want to know more. plus i don't know anyone in person to connect to about this stuff.  maybe the question is why do you feel the need to question this as being a big deal?

because i'm a curious guy, and always want to know more. plus i don't know anyone in person to connect to about this stuff.  maybe the question is why do you feel the need to question this as being a big deal?

Because im wondering what is unique about this practice

I sometimes think of meditation as a reset switch.  Meditate for awhile and you end up relaxed, mind clear.  With the Secret Smile you end up mind, body and energy systems moving beyond 'reset' into positive mode.. feeling good; literally feeling relaxed, confident, laughingly happy, loving and with a bit of sexual energy.   As the doc said energy moves best through a happy body.  Working with internal energy can have pitfalls of falling into depression or paranoia.  This counter acts that.

I've gotten out of the habit but at my best I was doing it when ever I was in the washroom and doing it often, even an abbreviated version led to feeling positive and stronger. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

bump.

Someone was talking about the Inner Smile practice and thought this is a powerful similar kind of practice. 

• Like 1

Here is a discovery.  On youtube you can find some video's that have some of the audio's from Glenn Morris's Meditation Mastery course.  Not every audio is there, and the quality is about the same as the cassettes tapes that I had in the early 90's (late 80's?). 

Many of his most important ideas and meditations are there.   His system which evolved into KAP, is an interesting blend.  His attempt to create the Jeet Kun Do of enlightenment systems, combining the best elements of Chi Gung, chakra theory and esoteric martial arts; taking the best from many systems and leaving out cultural baggage.    He took a scientific approach using himself and students to experiment on.  Never liked the title of his book, but the stories and methods are fascinating in 'Pathnotes of a Ninja Grandmaster'. 

Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/user/HoshinRoshiRyu

Many of his teachings are in the form of guided meditations.  I highly recommend DaMos Cave exercise as well as the Secret Smile.  If those click you can start walking through the elemental doors that he has laid out. 

Here is the Secret Smile in his words: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1pi0_ViC4k

If any one objects to this link, let me know and I'll get rid of it.   Hoshin Roshi Ryu I believe was the organization that Dr. Morris founded and on the site it says: Dedicated to the memory of Dr. Glenn Morris and the preservation of his art and system.  Thus I think its legit and very worthwhile.

never mind.  the link is kaput.

Edited by thelerner
youtube site gone
  • Like 2

bump.  Just saw the youtube link I posted above is no longer functioning.  Still there are probably a few good youtubes on KAP and Doctor Morris's techniques, especially the Secret Smile. 

• Like 1

Looks a bit too complicated for me. I struggle to do the 5 tibetans properly and they are ez pz compared to this...

The beauty of the secret smile is that it is adaptable to your own constitution.  It does not need to be done exactly as given in the instructions.  A simple conjuration of a loving memory combined with deep breathing can do wonders, so I would encourage you to not be deterred.  Make it your own.  Be creative.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2009 at 12:34 PM, Vajrasattva said:

The Kundalini Awakening Breathing Instructions

1. Begin by sitting in the fudosai meditative posture. The mudra of choice to rest the fingers of the right hand within the fingers of the left hand, palms facing upwards with the thumb tips touching each other. The hands should be then resting comfortably in the area of the genitals.

2. Place the tongue on the roof of the mouth just behind where the teeth join with the palate. Close the eyes.

3. Begin to slowly belly breath, inhaling the air DOWN into the abdomen, expanding the stomach as the air enters the body. Fill the lungs from bottom to top. Inhale for a count of four. Time the breathing with the SLOW counting so that you have filled your lungs just as your reach four.

4. Exhale slowly from the top of your lungs to the bottom, contracting the stomach inwards. This should pull the tummy back inwards toward the spine. Do this for a slow count of ten.

5. Inhale once again, same as before. There should be no pause between the inhaling and the exhaling; the breath is seamless. Focus on the counting to keep the extraneous thoughts from intruding. Continue this for at least ten minutes a day.

The eventual goal is to get the breathing down to between four and six breaths a minute. The downward push of inhale will eventually become testicular breathing and inflate out well below the navel without the upper ribs moving at all.

Safety First: The Secret Smile

The first meditation required for success in the Lightening Path training is the "Secret Smile". Always begin your practice with the secret smile. You want your body to be very happy. That way your hormonal system will cooperate and you will avoid discomfort. I have observed that kundalini moves best through a happy camper and this meditation is a process for internalizing an intensely positive mind-state. A certain degree of intensity is required to raise the kundalini and so this practice draws on highly charged positive emotions that most people are familiar with. There are five emotions utilized in the Heaven's Way Chi Kung, Lightening Path Esoteric Yoga Secret Smile Meditation.

Circulating the Five Intense Positive Mind States

Relaxed Calm: After you are in the fudosai meditation posture and have begun Zen breathing for 5-10 minutes, put a smile on your face. You should actually lift your cheeks so the corners of your mouth turn up. Next tighten your toes until they really hurt and then release them. Do this three times paying attention to the relaxed feeling that occurs with in between each pause. Move that relaxed feeling up from the soles of your feet to your ankles and then up to your calves. Bring it around to your knees and to the heavy muscles of the thighs allowing them to soften and relax. Picture your thorax as a grail filling up with relaxation. Let the intestines, stomach, and lower back fill up as well. Next, allow it to flow up into your chest, upper back, and shoulder so that it overflows into your arms and down to the fingertips. Let your arms fill up until the relaxed feeling begins to move around your neck and up the back of the head coming up over your ears and skull to rest behind your eyes. Catch the feeling with your relaxed tongue and swallow it down to the bottom of your belly where you swirl it around.

Confidence: Remember a time when you did something you were not only proud of but other people recognized your achievement. Pay attention to how you felt. Erase the people and the event while keeping the feeling. Take that feeling down to your feet and bring it up through your body in the same manner as in the active relaxation, but this time you don't have to tighten your toes. Bring it over you head, mix with the saliva, swallow, and allow it to mix with the relaxed feeling and then the cycle begins anew. Do this for three cycles of more of breath.

Happiness: Next, picture a time when you were laughing so hard you literally fell down, cracked up, and totally lost it. Take out the joke or situation and hold onto that wonderful feeling. Take that down to your feet and bring it up through your body over your head, swallow it down and mix with the other feelings. Then combine the four feelings to breathe through your body following the identical procedure. Do this for three or more cycles of breath.

Love: Now remember a time when you were in love and felt loving. Take out the loved one and the situation and hold onto that wonderful feeling. Take that down to your feet and bring it up through

your body over your head, swallow it down and mix with the other feelings. Then combine the four feelings to breathe through your body following the identical procedure. Do this for three or more cycles of breath.

Ecstasy: The smile is for adults over 19 years of age. If you are sexually active, remember the best orgasm you ever had, and if male, hold onto the movement just before ejaculation and breathe that feeling through

your body (as you probably don't want to stain your trousers and the male orgasm is usually too short for this exercise). If female, let it rip as you breathe through your body from the tip of your toes to the top of your head, down behind your eyes, through the tongue, and back to your belly. This is the power behind the secret smile and one of those important items usually regarded as oral transmission. Do this for three or more cycles of breath.

Once you've succeeded in combining all these feelings and moving them from your feet to your head and back to below your stomach, memorize the process. Make it part of your daily practice until it is so easy that it just become a warm up for other methods that sticks with you.

- Dr Glenn J Morris

been 3 years since I've bumped this one up. 

I've found it a very valuable practice.  When I'm good, I'll do a shortened version each time I visit the washroom, inorder to keep the feeling flowing throughout the day.

• Like 1