YMWong

On being / having been enlightened

Once Zhuangzi dreamt he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering around, happy with himself and doing as he pleased.

He didn't know he was Zhuangzi.

Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi.

But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi.

Between Zhuangzi and a butterfly there must be some distinction!

This is called the Transformation of Things.

Zhuang Zi, tr. Burton Watson 1968

Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuangzi.

But he didn't know if he was Zhuangzi who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming he was Zhuangzi.

This might be a superficial comment, but he should be able to distinguish the two states by the degree of awareness .. how 'real' it feels. And even if both had the same feel, I'd go for the state that lasts longer. If this tale isn't meant completely metaphorically only, then there should be a perceivable difference between the two states.

If you're not sure what is dream and what waking ... go by the guideline that the more crazy/exciting/weird one is the dream. :D

If you really can't tell both states apart ... maybe both is a dream. ;)

Or maybe both is 'real'! :blink::huh:

I think there is more than enough weirdness everywhere for me to say I have no idea what's going on most of the time;-) I'm happy there are still dreams and the jerk of waking up. I don't ever want to feel like butterfly/Zhuangzi.

I think there is more than enough weirdness everywhere for me to say I have no idea what's going on most of the time;-) I'm happy there are still dreams and the jerk of waking up. I don't ever want to feel like butterfly/Zhuangzi.

"Ever" is a very long time...