Sign in to follow this  
Naturyl

Nevermind

Hi, all. I'm a philosophical Taoist and a humanist with an eclectic background. Before I jump in and start posting, I need to know whether my views will be welcome.

Almost everywhere I go, I eventually get into trouble because of my belief that people shouldn't have to work unless they want to, and a guaranteed minimum income should be available to people who aren't interested in having a job. I understand that this isn't politically feasible in most of the world currently, but I still think that's the way it should be, and we should be moving in that direction.

In most forums, when I try to discuss this, I encounter a great deal of angry opposition and end up being personally abused in various ways. How likely is that to happen here at the Tao Bums? I'd like to know before I jump in, because I'm pretty tired of being railroaded by lynch mobs with torches and pitchforks, and I'd very much prefer to be somewhere more supportive.

So, tell me, how does the Tao Bums feel about real bums?

I can't speak for the rest of the Bums but i personally am not interested in supporting someone who doesn't feel like working. I won't bother to give you angry opposition as i am not interested in arguing such matters.

Feel free to post and see what happens - ya never know.

Welcome :)

I can't speak for the rest of the Bums but i personally am not interested in supporting someone who doesn't feel like working.

So you think people should have to work whether they want to or not?

If so, how do you distinguish that from enslavement? Just curious.

Thanks for the promise to avoid anger. :)

Thanks for the promise to avoid anger. :)

As i said in my first post:

i am not interested in arguing such matters.

I will add to me such discussions are a waste of time.

Welcome. I don't think anyone has to work if they don't want, unless they feel compelled to by the current standards set by society. But I also don't think society should support a guaranteed minimum income for one that chooses not to. If one chooses not to work, then one should adapt one's lifestyle as necessary - not expecting society to support him/her. If you have not enslaved yourself with debt, then congrats for being able to roam free.

As far as real 'bums', the few that I have met were some of the best souls. They seemed more real and down to earth than most people I talk to. They have no need to be phony it seems - they just are.

Actually, nevermind. I've looked around the forum a bit and I don't think it's for me, anyway.

Thanks to those who have responded, and best wishes. :)

Sign in to follow this