Sign in to follow this  
RedFox

New layer of training

I took a leap a while back, based on discussion here, and decided to get Furey's Combat Conditioning book. I admit I have been extraordinarily impressed with the results, to the point that I'll probably never see the inside of a weightroom again.

I've gained a lot of flexibility back using active isolated stretching, eliminated nearly all areas of my own pain,

However, when I went into the training hall the other night, and did a little shadow fighting and kata, I realized for all the strength I'd gained, and all the flexibility I'd recovered, I still basically move like a big ol' brick.

So, after catching up on the WW discussions here, and reading Cam's last post on Furey, I decided to throw down some coin and order Sonnon's book, Warrior Wellness, and the Be Breathed programs. Definitely going to be more than I can absorb in the short term, but after watching his demo videos on rmax.com, I gotta think there's something to it, and worth investing in.

I also ordered Pavel's Stretching book. I was't originally going to, but I saw something specific in the exerpt on Amazon that made me realize he had something to offer that AIS might not.

Of course, after ordering this stuff, and Furey's CC book previously, I have to wonder why fitness guru paperbacks are all $25-$30 each, and every other paperback on that market $6-$12? :)

you wont regret ordering scotts stuff.

warrior wellness is 10 thumbs up.

i have been doing it for about 3-4 months now, and am in the intermediate program.

i have to say i never thought my body would be able to begin to move the way it is now. my shoulders and upper back are so supple now and my hips are moving in ways that makes me think i should go learn some latin dancing ;)

be breathed has fantastic core strength exercises... that also teach you to BE BREATHED haha.

i bought the body-flow book as well but have not yet gotten into that. taking it with me on my trip though so plan on doing some in all the free time i will be having :D

good luck!

I ordered Steve Maxwell's conditioning for grapplers DVD and from what I understand he includes warrior wellness or elements of ww in his program.

I want to get as specific and focused as possible and Steve is another conditioning guru and Blackbelt BJJ so will probably have my hands full with that for awhile.

Body Flow looks like alot of fun.

I'm another fan of Warrior Wellness. I think it is definitely worth the money. I do the begining and intermediate levels. Sometimes I do a long set with the exercises from both. Sometimes I only do one or the other.

I bought Softwork as well and I cautiously give it a thumbs up. I have to work the exercises with my group before I can write and informed review and time has been scarce lately.

Is there much of value in CC other than the Royal Court? The Royal Court is freely available on the web and I haven't bought CC because of it. I was doing 60 squats and 30 pushups in the summer, but I tweaked something in my right shoulder that I'm trying to let heal. Warrior Wellness doesn't agravate it but every time I go back to Hindu pushups I feel like I stress it again.

Anyone have any feedback on Combat Abs?

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

WW rocks! It's a real taobums score! It is actually very similar to the mobility aspects of Chia's morning meditation routine. It opens the joints and lets the chi pour in all day long. Also, since you get more comfortable moving your body, your body in turn relaxes and you gain flexibility without even trying. Absolutely amazing. It looks boring as hell, so getting started with it is the most challenging aspect. But once you've done it for a few days you'll be hooked. Plato and Michael say that it improves one's sex life too.

I consider practices like it to be very foundational to energy practices both energizing and relaxing. As Pavel says, makes you feel like a million bucks.

I'm doing yoga too, but yoga seems more muscular and WW is more joint oriented they seem to have a distinct effect, but I can't quite articulate it at the moment. That's another one for Sean's future article on yoga practice.

Also, I gave Freedom By Degree to Sean. It's an advanced version of WW. I'm sure he'll lend it out if anyone is interested.

-Yoda

I'm another fan of Warrior Wellness. I think it is definitely worth the money. I do the begining and intermediate levels. Sometimes I do a long set with the exercises from both. Sometimes I only do one or the other.

I bought Softwork as well and I cautiously give it a thumbs up. I have to work the exercises with my group before I can write and informed review and time has been scarce lately.

Is there much of value in CC other than the Royal Court? The Royal Court is freely available on the web and I haven't bought CC because of it. I was doing 60 squats and 30 pushups in the summer, but I tweaked something in my right shoulder that I'm trying to let heal. Warrior Wellness doesn't agravate it but every time I go back to Hindu pushups I feel like I stress it again.

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

7854[/snapback]

If you want to see the excercises in action go to scientificwrestling.com and get the Gotch DVD. He is the guy that taught Furey the excercises and considered the "God of wrestling" in Japan.

I have Gama Fitness which is the advanced CC course furey made. It basically covers variotions on squats and pushups, Bridging Gymnastics(advanced bridging) pullups, isometrics, stretching and the mind muscle connection.

I think Gotch covers alot if it on his DVD also.

M yonly problem with WW is that he goes through it so damn fast. I COULD write down the movements and do it at my own pace, that would be more fun perhaps.

But, why go through shit so fast? Thats not cosmic! Is it?

yeah I do NOT like what yoga does for my joints

I DO like what WW does for them, very much!

Be Genki,

Tenguzake

7854[/snapback]

if i remember right, furey talks about messing up his shoulder doing hindu pushups, and now sells some sort of chest expander device to help that. my take on this is that the hindu pushups revealed, or caused if he went nuts with them, an imbalance in the strength/flexibility of either his rhomboids or one or more of the rotator cuff muscles. the chest expander likely accomplished what a good therapist wuld do, inceasing the flexibility of the tightest msucles, and strengthening the weak, ignored ones.

he stated rest & time off didn't resolve it for him, and so far in my experience, it rarely does unless the person avoids the offending activity indefinitely. you get a little atrophy that takes some of the pressure off the aggravated tendon, but the muscle imbalance needs to be addressed.

there are some good exercises in there beyond royal court, but you can spend months just building yourself up with those. if you know 5 tibetans, youre pretty close if not dead-on on more of the exercises, and if you're an ex-wrestler like me, you know plenty more of them if you dip back into your memory from high school or whatever. i would not be shocked at all if the 6th tibetan (listed in the book by Christopher Kilham) was in Furey's combat abs.

I did Furey's CC for about a month... and over that time i got much better at doing the royal court excersises.

However, I managed to get my hands on Pavel's 'Naked Warrior' which is a book (and dvd) on using body-weight only excersises to increase strength. It's very simple - he only teches two excersises (with variations) the one-armed push-up and the one-legged (pistol) squat.

Over the past week I've been doing these almost every day - although ofcourse i did the much easier elevated variations. In the mean-time I've been neglecting Furey's stuff - But just yesterday I did the royal court and in a week I've literally doubled the number of reps i could do in both the hindu push-up and the squat - I'm pretty skinny and not very muscular, but over the past week I can see ahuge difference in my muscles, far more than what I got from doing Furey's stuff for a month.

So from now on I'm planning on doing Pavel's system untill i can do several sets of 5 reps of both the pistol and the one armed pushup without any elevated assistance and stop Furey's stuff, appart from the bridge - which i feel is very beneficial, not only for strength and stretching, but also for abdominal breathing (i was pretty surprised to discover this!). Besides, Pavel reccons that high-rep excersises such as CC are not so good for you, they cause a lot of muscle micro-tears and can really injure you - whilst also increasing musle size more than strength. Not sure if this is the case, since so many people have seen so many benefits from CC, but judging by the progress I've made in a week with Pavel's stuff, I'm willing to believe him for the time being :)

7983[/snapback]

i will know more when i get into pavel's stretching book, but i remember from naked warrior (borrowed briefly)that pavel goes way more into the 'how do i use my bod effectively' than furey does with CC. CC is mostly about cranking out reps or holding a bridge longer. I did not actually make many gains with CC the first month, because i was sore all the time and had to take days off to recover. also, with hindu squats especially, i noticed my quad tendons at the knee getting painfully tight and had to spend several weeks stretching them daily while my body tried to adjust to the new workload. now they are fine, but it was an adjustment period for sure.

i haven't noticed size (as nin growing muscle) being a big change in my body, but i was a weightlifter prior to CC anyway, so i just feel smaller. however, i will say that CC, while it stiffens me up less than weightlifting, still seems want to tighten me up i fi'm not paying rapt attention. hence the move toward Sonnon & Pavel for me.

Thanks again to all you taobums for sharing your opinions and experiences! i definitely feel like i'm growing in great new directions!

Sign in to follow this