Sign in to follow this  
Archaic17

Where are the taoists

im thinking of backpacking and heading to the himalayas to look for some taoist masters also going to search china and singapore.. and of course indonesia.

let me know what u think,.

im thinking of backpacking and heading to the himalayas to look for some taoist masters also going to search china and singapore.. and of course indonesia.

sounds like the finest kind of adventure - take care and go for it. and sniff the political wind approaching

border crossings.

Sounds like an adventure! I'm doing the same in a year, and in my opinion it's the best way to find out the truth for yourself. Don't take anyone else's word for it.

My teacher knows some very authentic folks who never left Chen village, in case taijiquan-'biased' taoism is what you're looking for. If you're interested, I'll ask him if they might be approachable to teach an outsider when I see him next week.

I'd be interested in what you mean when you say taijiquan-'biased' taoism.

Well, it means learning taoism from moving the taijiquan way. You start learning the form when you're a kid, and all you're learning is how to move, how to master the naturalness and intelligence of your own body. You perfect the way you move for a few years. While you're at it yin and yang are mentioned, and their interactions are pointed out to you as you move, so that they become obvious and personal rather than abstract and theoretical. Then, a bit later, qi is mentioned -- same thing, you only start dealing with it once it's obvious and personal to you due to the way you've learned to handle and "hear" your body and those of others (via push-hands). Then meridians, dantiens, same thing. Emptiness and Fullness. Heaven and Earth. Movement and Stillness. The Five Phases and the Eight Directions. And so you keep going deeper and deeper into the theory of taoism without ever separating it from the practice, even for a second. You get to learn things taoist from doing them the taijiquan way. What you're doing is learning to "ti taiji" -- embody taiji. Taiji's mom is tao. When you embody taiji, your relationship with tao is immediate and personal, rather than third-party-mediated and abstract.

Interesting...

Thank you for taking time to write a response and I do appreciate what you wrote and the value of what you had to say.

Peace, Virtue

wTiger

Sign in to follow this