tumoessence

waysun Liao, anybody study with him?

I was about to start this post when reading on water/fire methods Creation asked if someone has studied Waysun Liao's tai chi. I would like to make this a separate thread and see if there are experienced students of his. I think he has real accomplishments, and has practices that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Bill

I was about to start this post when reading on water/fire methods Creation asked if someone has studied Waysun Liao's tai chi. I would like to make this a separate thread and see if there are experienced students of his. I think he has real accomplishments, and has practices that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Bill

I study under Master Liao's student. I know at least a couple of others on this board have been/still are students of his school -- Temple Style Tai Chi.

I know at least a couple of others on this board have been/still are students of his school -- Temple Style Tai Chi.

I only know of forestofsouls...it would be cool if he would chime in! But I guess he already did here a long time ago:

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?showtopic=2263

Actually, it has been bugging me for some time that that thread is mis-titled Waysun Lao. Hopefully my posting it here will help people searching for stuff on him to find it. Unfortunately, it gets into a quagmire of rumors and fear mongering, but it has some good stuff.

Also, Dwai, I'll reply to your post in Fire or Water here since it seems more appropriate.

Nine Nights is my favorite Liao book too. I'm actually re-reading it presently, and I'm seeing a lot of great stuff I missed the first time. Namely, the first time I mainly paid attention to the philosophy and the story, but now I'm getting all the the practical stuff that's tucked in there. I wasn't ready to hear the deceptively simple "Purify your mind use your pure mind to feel your energy, in order to eventually make yourself a cavity to receive the One Chi." After reading some Complete Reality/Dragon Gate stuff (Seven Taoist Masters, Opening the Dragon Gate, Dao Zhen's posts on this form), the few instructions for practice in Nine Nights are making more of an impression on me. They also say purifying your mind is the first step in serious Taoist cultivation, and I think Liao's One Chi is the same as the Yang Chi they talk about.

Nine Nights with the Taoist Master and Relaxing into Your Being are my favorite books on Taoism.

Nine Nights is my favorite Liao book too. I'm actually re-reading it presently, and I'm seeing a lot of great stuff I missed the first time. Namely, the first time I mainly paid attention to the philosophy and the story, but now I'm getting all the the practical stuff that's tucked in there. I wasn't ready to hear the deceptively simple "Purify your mind use your pure mind to feel your energy, in order to eventually make yourself a cavity to receive the One Chi." After reading some Complete Reality/Dragon Gate stuff (Seven Taoist Masters, Opening the Dragon Gate, Dao Zhen's posts on this form), the few instructions for practice in Nine Nights are making more of an impression on me.

Nine Nights with the Taoist Master and Relaxing into Your Being are my favorite books on Taoism.

Hi Creation,
I've probably read Nine Nights at least ten times by now (over the course of two or three years). I always find new stuff that hadn't struck me before. It definitely has changed my life. Frantzis' Opening the Enerrgy Gates is probably the other most powerful book for me (because I actually did the practices for a couple years). His Relaxing Into Your Being is deeper and I've only read it so far, not worked with it. Did you do Energy Gates before the Relaxing practices?

Hi Creation,

I've probably read Nine Nights at least ten times by now (over the course of two or three years). I always find new stuff that hadn't struck me before. It definitely has changed my life. Frantzis' Opening the Enerrgy Gates is probably the other most powerful book for me (because I actually did the practices for a couple years). His Relaxing Into Your Being is deeper and I've only read it so far, not worked with it. Did you do Energy Gates before the Relaxing practices?

Adeha

Adeha

Hi Adeha.

I like Relaxing into Your Being so much because it gives such a wide perspective of Taoist theory and practice, like a map. I'm a very intellectually oriented person, so on the one hand I like maps (figuratively speaking), but on the other I have to constantly remind myself that the map is not the territory :D . Not that it's a particularly cerebral book, but it is saturated with information and wisdom (e.g. lots of great stories about Liu Hung Chieh) so I would recommend checking it out to anyone interested in Taoism.

As for practice, I saw the practices as complementary. For example "Taoist internal breathing" is the longevity breathing of OtEG plus how to use breathing to build meditative and energetic awareness. The standing practice is identical, but he gets more into the meditative aspects of it. I got RiyB first, but then liked it so much that I got OtEG and The Great Stillness a week or two later, and worked on standing and breathing combining the instructions from the former two.

Tyler

Dwai and I studied at the same time. I moved, and studied with another former student of Master Liao's who had a completely different take on the forms.

I think in order to really master Tai Chi, especially as taught by Master Liao, you really need to put in the time. mjjbecker wrote a good article about this on this site. I came to a point in my life where I had to make some tough practice decisions, and unfortunately, I couldn't continue to give Tai Chi the attention necessary.

I can say this: both Master Liao and Dwai and I's teacher have juice. But I think it takes a long time to develop it.