Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

An easy yoga for me?

I am new to the world of yoga and was wondering if anyone had any tips out there for me on a good one to start out with?

What is your objective by practicing yoga? Depending on that there would be different recommendations.

In general I believe a form of hatha yoga is a very good means to improve flexibility, strength and balance as well as create a calm mind.

There is a whole spectrum from more restorative yoga styles such as a yin yoga to very sweat producing vinyasa styles. But even in the vinyasa (power) yoga styles you can just go as far as you're comfortable and take a break in between. Similar to jogging- a well trained runner will run 8 kilometers in 30something minutes, a beginner might want to take it easy and run in 45 minutes.

Please keep in mind that asana (body postures) is only one limb of yoga, the others are basically precepts on how to behave towards others and oneself, breathing exercises and meditation. But they are not necessary to get the benefits from asana. Often though with regular practice the sadhaka (practitioner) will get interested in them and incorporate them in the practice naturally.

If you are talking about hatha yoga, I would recommend learning the Iyengar method first, as it stresses proper alignment and injury prevention. A lot of the vinyasa flow methods do not teach the details of doing the asanas, and can often lead to injuries. The Iyengar classes are held at different levels, with increasingly challenging asanas and longer holds as you move on to higher levels. Also, the classes do not follow a set sequence of asanas each time, such as in Bikram or Sivananda yoga, so personally, I find that more interesting than always knowing what to expect. The Iyengar method does not overtly stress the spiritual side very much, but I find it very good for the physical aspects. Good luck and enjoy!

Whatever yoga you start with. You should intentionally feel into your body during the practises. Feel sensations of different kind, thingling stiffness emptyness and so on. Feel into the body!

Hatha yoga was good for me to start with!

F D

Regardless of the style of yoga you settle on, pick up a copy of Bernie Clark's Yinsights. It's so, so much more than a book of pictures of asanas. Meanwhile, find a local school or teacher and start taking beginner classes. More than likely they will be Hatha classes, eventually you can branch out and see what's available in your area. I'm a Yin yoga (variation of hatha) person myself. I was drawn to yin by the meditative aspects of it, and continue to enjoy it every morning.

I also agree about the importance of technique and alignemnent. Iyengar yoga is superb for this and many other things. Resotarative Iyengar sequences are also immensly relaxing and healing.

The five tibetans is a quick and easy and efficient energizing practice.

Yin and yin yang yoga are also great.

If you want a short sequence to do at home you can find lots of sequences by googling for it. At yoga journal you can also find a bunch of seqeunces

i like santiagos book guru secrets at umaatantra.com

I practice the 8 practices from chapter 5 in addition to kap.

I have also used the sun salutation before.

I tried the 5 tibetans for a few weeks as well.

^_^

Edited by phore

I enjoyed Rodney Yee's Power Yoga: Strength and Flexibility.

It's really for beginners...but I personally love it. I don't like more advanced stuff. And this isn't exactly power yoga...it's pretty much just sun salutations changed up a bit and done in an easy yet slightly challenging way. Out of any yoga routine, this one was the easiest, most relaxing, and made me feel the best.

I agree that Iyengar yoga is good if you can find a decent teacher near you. Otherwise forget it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this