Sign in to follow this  
innerspace_cadet

I'm going to give a college lecture tomorrow on Taoism

I work for a career college in Colorado Springs, and we just added a new massage therapy program. One of the courses for this program is "Eastern Theory and Practice" and I was invited to give a short lecture on Taoism, since I am considered to be the resident nerd on Eastern religions at my campus.

I was thinking of explaining the Tao, wu wei, the three treasures, etc. and I am going to cite a passage from the Tao Teh Ching to illustrate each concept. I might also discuss some of the alchemical practices of Taoists, and tie that in with immortality.

Does anyone have suggestions for other things I could discuss? The teacher wants me to explain some of the "axioms" of Taoism, namely, that everything in the universe is governed by natural laws, that humanity should seek harmony with the universe, that everything is interdependent, etc. I am fairly confident about explaining these ideas, but some resources could help. Thanks.

I work for a career college in Colorado Springs, and we just added a new massage therapy program. One of the courses for this program is "Eastern Theory and Practice" and I was invited to give a short lecture on Taoism, since I am considered to be the resident nerd on Eastern religions at my campus.

I was thinking of explaining the Tao, wu wei, the three treasures, etc. and I am going to cite a passage from the Tao Teh Ching to illustrate each concept. I might also discuss some of the alchemical practices of Taoists, and tie that in with immortality.

Does anyone have suggestions for other things I could discuss? The teacher wants me to explain some of the "axioms" of Taoism, namely, that everything in the universe is governed by natural laws, that humanity should seek harmony with the universe, that everything is interdependent, etc. I am fairly confident about explaining these ideas, but some resources could help. Thanks.

I would forgo Tao Te Ching and just read Chuang Tzu to the class. Then I would check to see if anyone has any questions, and answer those. But that's just me. :) I can't imagine you saying something in class that's better than what Chuang Tzu said when it comes to Taoism.

Suggest you talk some about Taoist energy cultivation and Taoist medicine. Massage therapists could get huge benefit from these practices. Unfortunately many (most) of them think they ought to be able to be a 'master" after attending a weekend workshop - at least this is what I have experienced. Probably comes from reiki being so popularly abused in massage therapy schools.

Edited by Ya Mu

That sounds like a demanding task. We all have first hand experience when a comes to loss of words on this subject. Somebody said that maybe you shouldn't touch the Tao Te Ching, but I think otherwise.

If it were me, I would begin with the first chapter of the Tao Te Ching, perhaps reading it aloud and later stressing the technical impossibility of explaining something which cannot be straight up conveyed in words. Then I would go on to say, "but I'll do the best I can," (or something like that) and go on to describe some typical values, virtues, and practices of Taoism.

--best wishes for your presentation

One of the most fundamental notions in Daoism is 天人合一 (tian ren he yi) - Heaven and Man as One. Beyond, "everything in the universe is governed by natural laws, that humanity should seek harmony with the universe, that everything is interdependent, etc", what does this all mean practically? Daoism, likely due to the nature of Chinese culture, is an eminently practical philosophy. Though governed by the same laws, everything isn't the same; though it's all interconnected, everything is still separate and unique. The universe is holographic.

Chinese medicine applies this fundamental notion in diagnosis. The pulse, the tongue, the eyes, any part of the body reflects the whole of the body. You just need to know how to read it.

Likewise you have the Medical Dao, the Martial Dao, the Qin (ancient zither) Dao, etc because the universal laws are embodied in every activity. What emerges is a cultivation culture, seeking universal understanding through perfecting your art.

The same pattern echoing and reflecting through the cosmos.

Showing a video of the Mandelbrot Set wouldn't be a bad idea.

I also think the first chapter of tao the ching is greate. It opens for much discusison.

To talk about basics in TKM is also greate. For this people.

What realy would be interesting for them to hear something about might also be the bedroom arts. connected to jing, qi and shen as you said.

And of course why not have them to try some basic qigong, Pehaps a standing moving exercise with relaxation, a part of the inner smile with theory on the organs, and an exercise with rubbing the hands and trying to feel the qiball. Nothing can explain qi better then feeling it!

F D

The problem with Tao Te Ching is two-fold:

First, it's a lot more mystical than Chuang Tzu and refers to things in a way that's more puzzling and humorless. At the same time, since Tao Te Ching is written from the POV of trying to describe something, it fails to create an opening if the person holds obscuring beliefs and doesn't feel the flow of the text intuitively. That's the limitation of descriptive method.

Second, everyone knows Tao Te Ching. Few know Chuang Tzu. As a teacher, it's your job to give the student a gem and not some common knowledge. If you give your student something that everyone knows, you give them something worthless. If you give them something few know, that's more valuable and contributes more to the diversity of experience and opinion. Diversity is good.

Chuang Tzu is a funny text. You can get many laughs by reading it. It's down to earth. And it takes an approach of questioning and description instead of just description alone. The questions that Chuang Tzu raises are far more powerful in terms of the effects on the psyche than anything in Tao Te Ching.

Tao Te Ching is like some sage preaching to you from the top of the mountain. Chuang Tzu is like your beer buddy telling you some jokes in a manner that strengthens your wisdom. Chuang Tzu feels like a friend and not like some holier than thou person.

That said, Lieh Tzu is also great! It's even more rarely read, and it has fun stories in it. It will grab the attention of the students for sure.

Edited by goldisheavy

Keep this discussion going just learning about Taoism, finding it really useful. Already finding it a good recourse for starting off ideas on where to look first.

Thanks dan

How was your class. What did you choose. Any of our sugestions. Did it feel rigth?

FD

Yes, how did it go?

Keep this discussion going just learning about Taoism, finding it really useful.

I also much prefer Chuang Tzuto the Tao Te Ching. A long time ago Taomeow or Cat once said it was worthwhile remembering that Lao Tzu was "forced" to write it, hence starting with "Words cannot describe the Tao, and The Tao cannot be named."

:lol:

Nonetheless this one is fun Tao Te Ching

I also like Hua Hu Ching

I don't have Lieh Tzu. Recomendations A.C. Graham vs Eva Wong ?

The presentation went well. I gave every student a packet about Taoism. The packet gave a general introduction into Taoism's influence on Chinese culture, impacting everything from Chinese poetry to landscape art.

I also discussed the number of adherents Taoism has, though I explained that since "Taoism" is a very amorphous religious category, it is difficult to estimate the number of "Taoists" in the world, since Taoism overlaps with Chinese Buddhism, Chinese folk religion, etc. The discussion then delved into the beliefs that Taoists have in common, such as the nature of the Tao, wu wei, P'u, the three treasures, the microcosm and macrocosm, etc.

I finally discussed Taoist practices such as divination, talismanic magic, meditation and internal alchemy.

During the presentation, I read directly from both the Tao Te Ching and the writings of Chuang Tzu to illustrate the points I was making. I also delved into the Taoists' varied approaches toward death and immortality.

All in all, it was a positive experience.

The presentation went well. I gave every student a packet about Taoism. The packet gave a general introduction into Taoism's influence on Chinese culture, impacting everything from Chinese poetry to landscape art.

I also discussed the number of adherents Taoism has, though I explained that since "Taoism" is a very amorphous religious category, it is difficult to estimate the number of "Taoists" in the world, since Taoism overlaps with Chinese Buddhism, Chinese folk religion, etc. The discussion then delved into the beliefs that Taoists have in common, such as the nature of the Tao, wu wei, P'u, the three treasures, the microcosm and macrocosm, etc.

I finally discussed Taoist practices such as divination, talismanic magic, meditation and internal alchemy.

During the presentation, I read directly from both the Tao Te Ching and the writings of Chuang Tzu to illustrate the points I was making. I also delved into the Taoists' varied approaches toward death and immortality.

Excellent !! Well done. :D

Sounds like you found a well ballanced aproach and a good introductiion. I'm shore they enjoyed it!

FD

Sign in to follow this