Sign in to follow this  
wenwu

the balloon debate

the balloon debate  

15 members have voted

1. 1. the following people are riding in a hot air ballon, the balloon is high above the cean and a bird has ripped a hole in the silk, there is a small island visable, but the only way to get to the island is to make the ballon light enough to get there. to do this one person must be thrown out, the choice is yours

• a policeman
    • a shaolin monk
    • a priest
    • an old woman
    • a lawyer
    • a famous actor
    • a nurse
    • a thief
    • an english teacher
    • a hooker

hi here is something i sometimes give to my students to get them discussing some issues, this is the easiest one based around jobs, coming soon world leaders

please if you vote can you explain your choice/ suggest someone who shouldn't be kicked out

a policeman - They may be useful in providing order, and may have some skills which could help us survive. Also will be a strong personality which most likely won't break down, and will be eager to do manual tasks.

a shaolin monk - They will be strong and disciplined. They will be able to carry someone who has been injured, and "chop wood and carry water". :rolleyes:

a priest - They can (if it's a good priest) provide comfort to those who are losing hope. Religion doesn't matter in this situation...this person will have decent experience with people's issues, which will be essential.

an old woman - May have some wisdom which could help everyone, and know how to make things and keep things tidy. My grandma is really good at knowing how to prepare and store food...a skill which my generation has no clue about. They will be surprisingly useful.

a lawyer - Absolutely useless! We will throw them off the balloon! :P

a famous actor - Hopefully they don't break down emotionally...otherwise they might make a very good leader for the people. They will be able to at least act like they're in control.

a nurse - Definite keeper...will know some tricks of how to take care of others.

a thief - Useful person all around. They will be the most resourceful and unorthodox...which is great.

an english teacher - Will have read a lot of books, and learned a lot in the process. It's not useless to spend your days reading fiction...it provides a view into someone else's world. They will be wise and be able to think outside of the collective box.

a hooker - Good for morale. Keeper. :lol:

I chose for ditching the old woman; in the end simply because she's lived more life than the rest already, and would be of little use on the island. I didn't assume that the group would be on the island forever though. Therefore the option I would really pick is not to kick anybody off. With that many people, removing one fraction would not be significant. They would end up very close to the island anyway and do their best from there. Of course that's dodging the idea that I'm meant to be choosing which person is the least valuable, but it's not correct to judge value based on "how well you survive on an island."

Oh so you thought about the island and the time after landing?

I chose the lawyer out of reflex.

hmmm ... I can swim pretty well ... I'd wait until the balloon was low enough to jump safely (calculating broken water surface from ocean waves and landing within a standard deviation of acceptability there is a percentage chance I could probably survive from 500ft) and then swim my way to the island ... everyone lives!!! If I had time I would use a towel or clothing to create an ad lib shute ... a little bit extra wind drag would increase my chances of remaining conscious and whole of body.

If I die in the fall ... that's OK ... hell of a way to go!

If I get injured I'd just keep in mind I've got this really cute nurse waiting on the island to help tend my wounds, then I would grab the lawyer to help me draw up a compensation suit against the balloon owner!!!

24.gif

A shaolin monk would jump without hesitating.

Why?

1) it's the right thing to do

2) it's good training, hitting the water will be good training for taking powerful blows, and swimming to the island (which is visible anyway) will help build strength and stamina.

Everyone will reach the island safely.

iyoiyo

just for fun mate,

yes lots of people choose the lawyer but some people decide to keep him to sue the balloon company

when i do this in class, i usually assign each student a person adn they have to make their pitch as to why they should stay. not a deep topic but something to get them talking which is the main aim of my job anyway

i have had some very interesting arguements over the years i will post some of them when it is not so late

Stigweard from 500 ft you are almost definitely going to die, water impact at that speed would be like hitting concrete. You're right would be a hell of a way to go!!

Unless.... you go head down lawn dart style for maximum accleration/velocity then at the last second flare into a tracking position, converting your vertical descent speed into forward motion for maximum glide angle.. incredibly slim chance you might ride out the landing, but your timing and altitude perception better be good (even harder to judge over water).

I'd jump myself, think of the merit earned!! :)

yes lots of people choose the lawyer but some people decide to keep him to sue the balloon company

I feel sorry for those people.

I feel sorry for the balloon company.

Right. If the lawyer was able to talk himself out of being the one who has to jump, I agree.

I'm wondering once "the chosen one" is to go, which one in the balloon actually gets to do the deed itself? Who amongst them would be brave enough to play God and be responsible for the fall of man (or woman)......?!

@esoterica

It would be a democratic voting, so people can feel righteous about it and don't have to realize the horror of what they're doing.

Sign in to follow this