wenwu

10,000 practices, but how many do you need

Kun Lun

Standing meditation

inner smile

microcosmic orbit

wild goose qi gong

etc

seems every time I chat to people or search the internet i fnd or hear about yet another practice, makes me wonder how many are actually needed. should you choose some complementary practices or should you devote yourself to just one?

what is the general opinion of people out there?

Kun Lun

Standing meditation

inner smile

microcosmic orbit

wild goose qi gong

etc

seems every time I chat to people or search the internet i fnd or hear about yet another practice, makes me wonder how many are actually needed. should you choose some complementary practices or should you devote yourself to just one?

According to me. I think it might be good in the beginning to try out some different pracctises, but if you want to realy accomplish on a deep level you should sooner or later choose your system of practise and hold on to that, seldom trying somehing else at that time but keep the track in your system.

F D

for what purpose? what is the goal..or intention

ive chosen

some sort of awareness meditation

some sort of martial art

some sort of yoga

some sort of qigong

and

to synthesize these.. do them in a flow to make good 3hrs practise..like the monk from golgosa did seems right

:) My intention is not enlightenment or eternal life. its keeping the head above the water. more life to life. thats all.

just a suggestion &

this may change

Of course, this whole site began as an "exodus" from Mantak Chia's Healing Dao system.

And before 2007 on here, Bodri's White Skeleton Meditation appeared quite popular.

Then, we also had "John Chang's" Mo Pai & Wang Liping's Longmen Pai stirring some interest, more recently (see David Verdesi & Sean Denty).

And now Santi's KAP, as well.

Not to mention Drunvalo's Flower of Life and many other assorted methods!

It does seem like there is always something new every few months. So, who knows what might pop up next? B)

They're all just different tools. Think of it like gardening. If you're a good practitioner, you won't use a wheelbarrow to dig a hole in the ground. You use a shovel of some type. You don't use manure to water the plants.

So different practices have different effects. For health, for 'no self', for strange experiences, for peacefulness or bliss, etc. Depending on what you need, you hopefully pick an according practice. If you want health, and you pick a practice which is for strange experiences, be prepared to be disappointed.

Many practices claim many things, but the true effects are seen by your own practice of them. What I've found is that most often, spiritual practices don't have anything to do with healthiness.

Take it like you take life.

Do you see many people becoming outstanding at many arts? Not often.

In my opinion, pick 2-3 things and become great at them. Spirituality and religion aren't free from their fads and phonies either - keep that in mind.

Of course, this whole site began as an "exodus" from Mantak Chia's Healing Dao system.

And before 2007 on here, Bodri's White Skeleton Meditation appeared quite popular.

Then, we also had "John Chang's" Mo Pai & Wang Liping's Longmen Pai stirring some interest, more recently (see David Verdesi & Sean Denty).

And now Santi's KAP, as well.

Not to mention Drunvalo's Flower of Life and many other assorted methods!

It does seem like there is always something new every few months. So, who knows what might pop up next? B)

Drunvalo's Flower of Life, is that something good? Drunvalo claims to be a high master incarnated. Is it fake or not?

Depends. I've found some practices that I like, but I also look into other practices.

The ones I found I like:

Zen meditation

B.K. Frantzis' meditation/qigong system

I'm waiting for the Kunlun book I just ordered to come in the mail. Kunlun was sitting in the back of my mind for so long, then when I decided to get the book and check out the practice for myself, I felt a lot better. So we'll see how that goes when it gets here.

Kun Lun

Standing meditation

inner smile

microcosmic orbit

wild goose qi gong

etc

You need as many practices as it takes to convince you that you already have everything you need, surrounding you right here and right now.

It's not the practices that count but what you do between the practices...

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Kun Lun

Standing meditation

inner smile

microcosmic orbit

wild goose qi gong

etc

Wenwu,

Define your goal for your practice. Search for teachers who have accomplished your goal, and listen only to them. If you want to learn how to be a mechanic you wouldn't become an apprentice to an electrician. The same applies to spiritual pursuits. Most teachers like Max the kunlun guy are just newage douchebags who are in the business only to take your money. Be careful who's teachings you buy into. Try to find teachers who have actually accomplished something, besides certificates on their walls.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

depends the application. There are many reasons for many practices.

They key is

1) what do you really need

2) what do you really want

3) How can with what you have help heal, improve life/society/enlighten others.

Peace

Santi

Most teachers like Max the kunlun guy are just newage douchebags who are in the business only to take your money.

Oh, that argument again. Has been a long time. :rolleyes:

Please name some indications for that. :)

• Like 1

Coincidently, the 5 initially named are the top 5 I do now- maybe the universe is telling me I have everything I need.

Kun Lun

Standing meditation

inner smile

microcosmic orbit

wild goose qi gong

etc

Need for what? Let's say you're a collector. You collect practices. Then you need all of them.

Let's say you seek wisdom regardless of well-being. You don't need any in that case.

Let's say you seek wisdom with a mix of pragmatic well-being, then you may need some of them or you may need your own practices that are based on the same principles as the well-known practices.

It depends. From the point of view of wisdom, these practices can be seen as hindrances even, never mind helpful!

Edited by goldisheavy

Take on a practice because you learn something deeper about yourself (regardless of who gives it to you). Drop the practice if you want, or if it is no longer serving you. Or don't practice at all! What ever tweeks your tweeker.

One: Vipassana.

Two: Internal Martial Arts (if you like to toss in something more active).

And that's about it.

Read my blog if you would like to know more Vipassana meditation. Free!

I think that stillness is essential. Whatever the method, if it helps you enter stillness/emptiness, it's a good thing in my opinion.

I've practiced Shao Lin Five Animals, Jeet Kun Do, Chung Moo Quan, Fire Hands, Ting-Jue, Longmen Pai, Golden Flower, Stillness.

The core of all of those for me is still, Loving Kindness. 

Loving Kindness is the core of all other practices and the only one that has always been with me.

• Like 5

On 1/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, silent thunder said:

I've practiced Shao Lin Five Animals, Jeet Kun Do, Chung Moo Quan, Fire Hands, Ting-Jue, Longmen Pai, Golden Flower, Stillness.

The core of all of those for me is still, Loving Kindness. 

Loving Kindness is the core of all other practices and the only one that has always been with me.

Systems and techniques are an access point for the mind into something beyond itself that is so simple that the mind couldn't fathom it directly.

I'm not too versed in Daoism, but Miao Tong Dao might be close to that, Lao Tzu's illusive path of merely wishing/willing things to be with the mind, i.e. with a minimum of (admittedly useful) bullshit. (In the sense that all of the mind's perceptions are at the core bullshit.)

• Like 2