dragonfire

Having you ever thought about being a monk

making it easier for others to rank your "abilities" without having to know anything about you as an individual.

Hmm.... Ranking the person's abilities without actually knowing the least bit about the person you say? This should give all the smart people a pause.

Hmm.... Ranking the person's abilities without actually knowing the least bit about the person you say? This should give all the smart people a pause.

:lol: ever tried to get a job? I can be almost impossible convincing people you "can do it" without the paper work.

Could you explain your comments further please :D

Enlightenment is not the goal of taoism. So its like asking for driving directions(using a car) to get to a space station. Driving a car == taosim, space station == enlightenment. Is that good enough? I'm kinda unsure how it was hard to understand.

I might have to purchase some land. I could probably find some for $5000 or less

and build my own cabin and build my own Newman motor. When the time is ripe,

I believe its absolutely necessary for this phase of the transformation, otherwise, one will fail.

Living in the city, there is energy leaks all the time. How can one ever reach that level

with so many distractions. I'm referring to high level cultivation.

Mal your totally right... learning to play the game is extremely important... I personally thank you for pointing that out to me.

But I must ask why would one want to take part in playing any games?

Ok... did i just do the QuanZhen say the exact opposite of myself... which means nothing?

Not always of course. Some times our insight has progressed that we see through the absurdity of contemporary society, or we awaken and wish only live in stillness and simple being. Mostly though, we are simply seeking to avoid suffering. However, even in retreat we suffer. Because suffering is not dependent on our environment. Rather it follows from a mind that does not see clearly. And you can't escape your mind - not for ever. It follows you where ever you go, especially into retreat where there is even less distractions to occupy it.

In kind regards,

Adam.

Thanks for sharing. :)

This post has been really interesting! Like others this is something I consider every now and then, and still wonder if it is something I will choose later in life for a period of time. Who knows?

Adam and Iskote, I agree very much with your wise words. Being honest with yourself by exploring your own motivations and expectations of undertaking such a path is critical.

I always remember the scene in Crouching Tiger where Chow Yun Fat tells Michelle Yeoh about his experiences in deep meditation, and coming to an awareness beyond time and space. But instead of the bliss of enlightenment he felt an endless sorrow; something was pulling him back into the world. (I thought this was the most arresting scene in the movie - much more so than the fancy swordfights!)

Whether you decide to wear robes and choose to live 'simply' in the material world, it is also possible to make that commitment to working with the complexity of your own self in everyday society. I think it has to be dependent on the individual and where he/she is at in life. Just my 2 cents worth.

Edited by Fontana