dragonfire

Having you ever thought about being a monk

Just wondering if anybody has this strong feeling. I feel like

I want to cultivate full-time. Im in TCM school now, but

thinking about dropping out to pursue enlightenment.

This would be such a shock to the parents. I'm the only

son out of six kids. In the asian tradition, son's are loved

so much. They tried so hard to get me, now I'm leaving

it all behind, family fortune, and all.

I'm thinking of Thailand.

I have been very successful in my chi cultivation. I want to take

it to the limit. So I wouldn't be a beginning monk

without knowledge and experience. I know pretty

much all of it, just want a place to cultivate.

Curious to know the pro's and con's.

Ah yes the calling, yes that was indeed a very strong desire of mine for many many years. I lived in Asia for many years studying and living in various monasteries. It was while there that I began to get the very strong urges to devote every moment of the rest of my life to the pursuit of being free, liberated, enlightened. It seemed like a very good idea at the time and the desire was so strong. So I spent a lot of time among the western monks and nuns really studying them and their motivation for taking the robes, I wanted to be sure at it was a big step. Obviously while doing studying them I was really asking myself about my motivation for wanting to become a monk. Finally I came to the conclusion that it was not my path, my motivation was not one of pure intent but rather one of trying to escape from the world, and I was basically feeling the tug of past lives as a monastic dweller being reawakened and that too was coming into play. Since then many times it has returned but I am now clear that for me my awakening is right here, right now, wearing jeans and a tee shirt, eating pizza and making love. This is my path to enlightenment, I am now crystal clear. It is a big step, a great step and whether you decide to take the robes or not, this process will help you become very very clear.

Keep me posted

Trips can bring you closer to understanding, but why not just make it a trip at first until you are entirely sure it is the correct path for you? There really is alot to learning energy cultivation in cities. It can sometimes be more exciting.

Ah yes the calling, yes that was indeed a very strong desire of mine for many many years. I lived in Asia for many years studying and living in various monasteries. It was while there that I began to get the very strong urges to devote every moment of the rest of my life to the pursuit of being free, liberated, enlightened. It seemed like a very good idea at the time and the desire was so strong. So I spent a lot of time among the western monks and nuns really studying them and their motivation for taking the robes, I wanted to be sure at it was a big step. Obviously while doing studying them I was really asking myself about my motivation for wanting to become a monk. Finally I came to the conclusion that it was not my path, my motivation was not one of pure intent but rather one of trying to escape from the world, and I was basically feeling the tug of past lives as a monastic dweller being reawakened and that too was coming into play. Since then many times it has returned but I am now clear that for me my awakening is right here, right now, wearing jeans and a tee shirt, eating pizza and making love. This is my path to enlightenment, I am now crystal clear. It is a big step, a great step and whether you decide to take the robes or not, this process will help you become very very clear.

Keep me posted

I actually just prefer to be a hermit, but I need food and shelter for a few years! haha. We'll see.

Trips can bring you closer to understanding, but why not just make it a trip at first until you are entirely sure it is the correct path for you? There really is alot to learning energy cultivation in cities. It can sometimes be more exciting.

I don't know about the city. Too me is just more distraction. I live in anaheim, ca. I go to

beach often, and see beautiful looking girls walking around. This can't be helpful in

the cultivation. When you dream about wanting to have sex with them, thats not

the right path. You will leak everywhere.

I just lived in cambodia for 2 months last summer. I actually just prefer a place

to cultivate here in the states if they have one. The problem is here, you'll most

likely have to pay room and board. I don't want that burden.

Is there any taoist temples in the USA that one can go to become a monk?

How can a taoist be a "monk"??? (it's only buddism that have monks)

Taoist have 2 types -

1) you train in the society, called "Fire Living Taoist" - you cultivate in the society, live like a normal person in this society, eat normal food...

2) you can train outside of the society called "Chut Sai Taoist" 出世道士, which means you have COMPLETELY done with #1 and you are ALL DONE with all the deeds you have to do as a normal person, and finished going thru all that life experience, sufferings, and then you can choose to get away from society and live in the nature like a mountain or something and live by very simple things, eat veggie the whole life, and follow the 300 prescepts, etc,.. that is the basic. Of course this cannot be done unless you are are really finished with the #1 stage.

Or else, you are just hiding from reality, like people skipping classes in school and say they like to study computer at home so they skip school and do their own "programming" at home in front of the PC.

I have had thoughts on that line. This was a few years ago however and I'm sure I was only trying to escape from what I felt was an annoying world. I think location doesn't ultimately matter, true cultivation can grow anywhere. If you seclude yourself "with nature" how easy is it to forget experiencing the other world? Imagining that you can-- nature is vast. It's naive to believe you'll understand it without constant experience. The moment is always perfect for learning, it's just not always the same lesson!

How can a taoist be a "monk"??? (it's only buddism that have monks)

Taoist have 2 types -

1) you train in the society, called "Fire Living Taoist" - you cultivate in the society, live like a normal person in this society, eat normal food...

2) you can train outside of the society called "Chut Sai Taoist" 出世道士, which means you have COMPLETELY done with #1 and you are ALL DONE with all the deeds you have to do as a normal person, and finished going thru all that life experience, sufferings, and then you can choose to get away from society and live in the nature like a mountain or something and live by very simple things, eat veggie the whole life, and follow the 300 prescepts, etc,.. that is the basic. Of course this cannot be done unless you are are really finished with the #1 stage.

Or else, you are just hiding from reality, like people skipping classes in school and say they like to study computer at home so they skip school and do their own "programming" at home in front of the PC.

What a way to ruin an otherwise great post by a terrible example at the end! :) Some of the very best and famous programmers have learned programming outside the school system. Had you been a programmer, you'd know that. But you were giving an example from a field you know nothing about, and so the example is working against the grain of your message. Ooops.

There are no short-cuts and the change has to be authentic. That's a good message! And you had it going. But then you went ahead and compared authenticity with convention, and that's where you lost the game.

Programming a TV or programming your PC is also programming.

Did you ever program your TV?

Some people also "program" their PC for MP3 playlist to play automatically and loop non-stop as a background for their room.. which they think it is also a way to "program" the pc too! :blink:

Sure, the thought comes up every once in a while.

Don't know where you went to school but... a lot of schools can be REALLY stupid. Serious wastes of time. Like, it's a nice thought to think, "stay in school and learn something", but it is NOT an exaggeration when you say school can hold people back. It depends on the person, depends on their field, and depends on what they do with their time.

There are plenty of people that became far more successful and happy and got real results going outside the system than they ever would by staying inside the structure.

But that path isn't for everyone so, yeah.

If going to school is very stupid, then have you accomplished them and became a PhD or MBA or something? I assume if it is stupid, you would be smart enough to accomplish the highest level long time ago?

There are always people who look down on things that are hard and tough. Which is like a person who got great orange juice and the other guy didn't, so this guy just say "orange juice is stink!" and went away from it.

School is part of life, if you can do it and get over it, you will enjoy life abit more too.

School is part of life, if you can do it and get over it, you will enjoy life abit more too.

Education is a good part of life. But lets not loose sight that the goal of education is understanding not assimilation.

Say for the young monk who receives a very comprehensive education - that material life is an illusion, that lust for women is an inappropriate craving, eating meat pollutes the spirit, etc - here is a person who knows the answers a "fire living daoist" may discover, but, they haven't gone through the personal understanding to reach those answers.

I have met so many spiritual folks who miss out on legitimate life lessons because they already know, "I should act this way..." And they run into the same problems again and again because though they know the answer, they never understood the question.

Start practicing Vipassana and then you'll modify your lifestyle to further continue with its requirements: you will end up living in a more peaceful and relaxed environment.

Being a monk or not doesn't make a difference. It's all in the mind.

If going to school is very stupid, then have you accomplished them and became a PhD or MBA or something? I assume if it is stupid, you would be smart enough to accomplish the highest level long time ago?

Let's say I designed a game where you hand to spin a hoola hoop around you as you sang Hannah Montana songs.

If you clocked enough hours doing that, I would give you various degrees and certificates that told people how smart you were. The more hours you spent doing that, the better certificates you would get. To get some certificates, you would have to spin the hoop counter clockwise, or maybe even sing a song backwards.

Let's say to get the best certificate you had to do that for 14 years.

How many years do you think you could do that? Oh, and just keep in mind that if you quit, you are running away from reality and everyone will think you're just a loser, and obviously not as smart or qualified in anything as the people who did it for 14 years.

(for many schools and students, I am not exaggerating here)

Like I said, it's good IN THEORY. But in practice it can be very stupid. (again, never said it was ALL stupid)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Let's not forget, becoming a monk isn't the only way to achieve seclusion, focus on cultivation, and guidance. I'm thinking of doing a 3 year Tibetan retreat. its closed off and you have a Master who guides you, its for ordinary people. They have the centers all over the world, usually in the middle of nowhere.

I think there was a thread some time ago about how to set up a hermitage on the cheap. Land prices are getting pretty low here in Michigan and I bet for $5,000 you could set yourself up pretty well even if you had no electricity and had to use pump water and an out-house. In fact I bet you could even do it cheaper since sustainable/natural housing is all the rage right now.

This is a huge subject I actually don't want to get into.

Although, Its extremely important for any cultivator (imo) that one should always dispell any ignorance about things. Missing parts of the pieces is also part of dispelling any ignorance, from there you can make the right choice.

This advice comes specifically for people that are interested in deep cultivation. Figuring out the reasons and so forth.

Escaping reality and actually growing are two different things.

But these are just MY views on the subject.

I think many , many of us have thought of it.

As a child, when other children wanted to be policemen, doctors, or firemen, I wanted to be a hermit :D

Strange, isn't it? I graduate in only 3 months though, and then it's off to create my own legend.

Some of the very best and famous programmers have learned programming outside the school system.

And?

Of course, people who succeed and go on to excel in their field without prior education are the exception, not the norm.

My uncle didn't go to Berkeley like my family's lineage. He decided to take over my grandpa's business, and make millions upon millions of dollars a year. All that, and no college - pretty sweet right?

My mom has a dual masters in Engineering and Architecture - and now uses neither, instead doing real estate.

------

It's a cop out to say education is stupid or unimportant. It does color your perception of the world though, and many (foolish) people believe that the more they learn, the less there is they don't know. It's more tempting to leave your cup full once you've "acquired" all this knowledge. Education has often made me realize how much I DON'T know, and it definitely can be a hindrance to living a simple, uncomplicated life.

Education has often made me realize how much I DON'T know

:D me too

If you clocked enough hours doing that, I would give you various degrees and certificates that told people how smart you were.

~

How many years do you think you could do that?

:P Well if the society you are in makes it an advantageous to have those certificates, then you should probably spend at least 15 years doing primary -> secondary -> tertiary education and get your Artium Baccalaureus. I did.

Having a degree or formal education doesn't make you "smart" but it does indicate that they are able to play a certain game by certain rules "better" than other people. Thereby making it easier for others to rank your "abilities" without having to know anything about you as an individual.

Just because we are not competitive, doesn't mean society isn't <_<

Hey guys!

I spent a good five years of so in my late teens and early twenties seriously considering ordination as a monk or priest - very seriously. I am a universalist, so I have no particular attachment or aversion to one tradition or another. Over time, however, I realized if awakening is our path, then there is no greater means to that awakening than life itself. Of course, this entails great discipline. But discipline is evolves organically through the insight of practice - and this evolution is exponential due to the challenging and transformational force of life itself. Furthermore, I would suggest for the most part, life is the journey or exploration of Being, awakening is that realization to Being or direct apprehension of life, thus, rejection of life through artificial isolation is antithetical to that realization, and follows from the absence of said direct apprehension. In other words, 99% of human motivation to reject the totality of life experience is a denial of life, or coping mechanism, in an effort to avoid suffering and find some utopian peace, satisfaction and completeness. It is an act of a suffering mind that does not see its true nature - that does not see the true nature of life.

Not always of course. Some times our insight has progressed that we see through the absurdity of contemporary society, or we awaken and wish only live in stillness and simple being. Mostly though, we are simply seeking to avoid suffering. However, even in retreat we suffer. Because suffering is not dependent on our environment. Rather it follows from a mind that does not see clearly. And you can't escape your mind - not for ever. It follows you where ever you go, especially into retreat where there is even less distractions to occupy it.

In kind regards,

Adam.

Just wondering if anybody has this strong feeling. I feel like

I want to cultivate full-time. Im in TCM school now, but

thinking about dropping out to pursue enlightenment.

This would be such a shock to the parents. I'm the only

son out of six kids. In the asian tradition, son's are loved

so much. They tried so hard to get me, now I'm leaving

it all behind, family fortune, and all.

I'm thinking of Thailand.

I have been very successful in my chi cultivation. I want to take

it to the limit. So I wouldn't be a beginning monk

without knowledge and experience. I know pretty

much all of it, just want a place to cultivate.

Curious to know the pro's and con's.

I just find it strange that you are referring to enlightenment on 1 hand, but wanting to study Taosim. Thats kind like asking for driving directions to a space station.

I just find it strange that you are referring to enlightenment on 1 hand, but wanting to study Taosim. Thats kind like asking for driving directions to a space station.

Could you explain your comments further please :D