Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Thumbs up or down in zhan zhuang?

In Eric's system the thumbs are pointed up while "embracing the tree". Ken Cohen teaches that the fingers are all loose and parallel to eachother.

I am not sure but I think Eric's way has some significance to bone marrow breathing practice where you draw sexual energy into the bones but Cohen's way feels more natural(probably because that's how I have been doing it for years).

Same difference?

*BTW I realize I ama sking what for the most part a bunch of beginners a question on the subtle differences of two guys who have done Qigong for like 40 years and yes I am cool with that.

In Eric's system the thumbs are pointed up while "embracing the tree". Ken Cohen teaches that the fingers are all loose and parallel to eachother.

I am not sure but I think Eric's way has some significance to bone marrow breathing practice where you draw sexual energy into the bones but Cohen's way feels more natural(probably because that's how I have been doing it for years).

Same difference?

*BTW I realize I ama sking what for the most part a bunch of beginners a question on the subtle differences of two guys who have done Qigong for like 40 years and yes I am cool with that.

7760[/snapback]

Well the thumb also connects to your brain center, so think about it that way too. Do you want cosmic energy flowing through or heaven energy flowing in?

My recent Zhan Zhuang teacher gave the following advise:

if you tend to have low blood pressure turn wrists & thereby palms & thumbs more up... that raises the blood pressure...

if you have high blood pressurelet the palms face more towards the ground thereby lowering or at least not raising further the blood pressure

and if you do not tend towards any just keep them relaxed palms facing you just as Kohen recommends...

harry

Well the thumb also connects to your brain center, so think about it that way too. Do you want cosmic energy flowing through or heaven energy flowing in?

7797[/snapback]

Both of course. And sex with the universe all throughout the day!

Seriously what do you know about this? It's more natural for me to have them loose but are there benifits to pointing the thumbs up?

LOL!!!!!! The benefits or drawbacks are only in your mind...measure it in many different ways, the connections between thumbs up down or in the niddle.

One very high internal arts master (gao ji wu) told us to put the hands so you have a rubber band between the thumb and pinkie(...elastic tendon connects).

Also between 4 other spots you should have elastic-like feelings. I dont remeber but we can play with it. knees/feet...crown/feet...center/6 feet deep...infinite others...

Also, he said, empty the mind, heart and feet...a bunch of other details in there, but thats most of it...it was very powerful standing meditation I did with this Bagua master...not zhang zhuang however, as he said that was "hard" style...his grandfather studied w/ founder I beleive.

"Both of course. And sex with the universe all throughout the day!"

Yeah thats true...i been working on that too. I gotta connect the elements with cosmic chi more during the healing sounds and whatnot...about to make a post on such a topic...

Sign in to follow this