Gerard

Understanding rebirth and reality

Hello there brother durkhrod chogori!

I hope you have long since sorted your employment issues. What's the latest?

It occurs to me, perhaps you'd like to post over on DharmaOverground, just google it. That goes for many others here too. There are some very high level practitioners there, some of which claim Arahat status, and who defend it quite well too. The quality of discussion is of the highest order and very polite too, considering there is a lot room for controversy and disagreement. I hope to see you there some time!! :D

In kind regards,

Adam.

I think there could be an argument for each of the 5 skandahs being yin, yang, or some combination of the two. That said, duelism vs. non-duelism is another form of duelism. In think in Buddhism to get past that it is referred to as the emptiness of emptiness.

Each path is a system/idea overlayed onto reality itself. But, can we get rid of the ideas? Aren't they part of what is going on too? We can call them partial truth, conditioning, etc. but the truth is that ideas are there where we get confused is when we don't see them for what they are.

To resolve duel vs. non-duel we only need to remove our clinging and pushing away of ideas... that's just a few thoughts from the mind I'm closest to ;)

I used to think this. In fact, I have only recently come to change my mind. Taoism is not a materialistic science dedicated solely to manipulating energy. No, it is much deeper than that. Taoist dualism, the way I am understanding it, is a relative thing. From the perspective of heaven, there is no duality. From the perspective of earth, there are 10,000 things.

I find that Buddhists often tend to neglect the physio-energetic side of things, except perhaps the Vajrayana. This is where Taoism is useful. The human being doesn't simply consist of mind and matter, but of shen, chi, and jing.

Buddhists follow a non-dualistic, mind-focused approach as opposed to Taoist dualism; although, the concepts of Buddhahood and Returning to the Tao are essentially the same since in both instances duality and mind are dissolved.

It occurs to me, perhaps you'd like to post over on DharmaOverground, just google it.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your advice, but I did complete a three week retreat at Chom Tong last summer. That website is linked to that particular Thai Wat.

I practice Vipassana every day and I am quite comfortable to say that it is the safest way to attain enlightenment, if your karma is right.

The employment thing is OK, just one of those life nuisances.

Good luck.

Edited by durkhrod chogori

Hey brother and others on this thread!

Durkhrod, there are many traditional practices that could be rightly called vipissana, I was wondering what exactly do you practice, and why / how do you find it beneficial?

Thanks mate!

In kind regards,

Adam.

Read my blog please. Entries:

Meditation...Sitting

Meditation...Walking

Meditation...Mindful prostration

I will make another entry explaining how you progress through Vipassana because I left that a bit up in the air.

Basically you end up meditating for 20 hours a day (10 h walking and 10 h sitting) for the last 3 days locked up in a room and I can tell you your mind gets through huge internal changes plus all the "weird" stuff you experience.

It's not easy, many people walk out of Vipassana silent retreats.

Gautama Buddha rediscovered this system but it was developed way before his time. Very ancient meditation system.

Read my blog please. Entries:

Meditation...Sitting

Meditation...Walking

Meditation...Mindful prostration

I will make another entry explaining how you progress through Vipassana because I left that a bit up in the air.

Basically you end up meditating for 20 hours a day (10 h walking and 10 h sitting) for the last 3 days locked up in a room and I can tell you your mind gets through huge internal changes plus all the "weird" stuff you experience.

It's not easy, many people walk out of Vipassana silent retreats.

Gautama Buddha rediscovered this system but it was developed way before his time. Very ancient meditation system.

Hey, if you practice Vipassana I highly recommend you to read Daniel Ingram's free ebook, he attained very high realization through insight practice, and has some very useful information to share

I thought I would add the concept of ATP to the discussion as a currency that is transfered among our good bacteria also. This is thanks to Jerry alan johnson for bringing it from the beijing chikung school curriculum.

So knowing that ATP is responsible in part for some of our wei qi field helps us understnad the situation even more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

It helps to know that the level of energy we have to some extent controls the amount of defenses.

Thus with our intent it influences our reality.

I find that Buddhists often tend to neglect the physio-energetic side of things, except perhaps the Vajrayana. This is where Taoism is useful. The human being doesn't simply consist of mind and matter, but of shen, chi, and jing.

They don't ignore it. Nor do they micromanage it.

That's the thing, when you practice Vipassana properly there is no need to read anything anymore. I stopped reading spiritual material long ago.

Practice, practice, practice.

Toss all the books away and empty your mind.

Cool,

Thanks for the video, I understand now why in India spiritual people don't care about disease. Love bacteria and viruses. :)

It's all about karma.

LoL, yes exactly. By force it is rather uncertain if we will survive, but absolutly certain we will die.

Let it be :)