Sign in to follow this  
Spirit Ape

Moon Gazing Taoism

You read many Taoist poetry and stories of Taoist sitting watching the moon and wanted to know what they thought of the moon its energies, how it effected them and if it was to worship it?

Ape

I'm sorry that I don't have an informed answer, I know very little of history. I can speak of my personal experience though. I often meditate while watching the moon. For some reason when I contemplate the apparent stillness, the distance, simplicity, radiance, and yet realize that it's neither still, nor simple, objectively far, nor projecting it's own light--- I'm able to meditate more easily. I just lie there amazed that it is how it is, and so is everything (a goofy sentence I know, but I don't really have a better way to put it).

Not exactly the answer you were looking for, but maybe thought provoking I hope.

ahhh, la luna! I have always been a moon-child (cancerian) and feel great peace when she shines into me, through the pores of my skin and the windows of my eyes. The moon is a symbol for the feminine aspect of Dao (yin), because the ancients observed that the moon is ever changing, from full to new to full again, and related these changes with the feminine body and the tides of the ocean. Thus it also came to represent the changes of the universe. The sun, ever shining in it's wholeness, was seen to represent the masculine, creative energies (yang), shining upon all with no preference or bias and lending it's light to the receptive moon.

moon gazing qigong is very simple and is great to practice especially around the full moon. just stand feet shoulder width apart, and look up at the moon with a soft gaze. Connect with the moon qi through your 'spiritual windows' . . . then draw the moon qi into your body (through your eyes) and down into your dantian, looking within. After a few minutes, open your eyes again and gaze at the moon . . . then draw it inside again.

the silver qi of the moon can bring great peace and a sense of inner connection to all that is . . . which is why I love to drink it in :)

Riverhorn,

Thanks man, I do something similar to yours can I ask where you learnt this method?

In my art we have a section called "Spirit Ape Observes the Moon" where you hold different postures whilst gazing!

Thanks

Spirit Ape

I'm sorry that I don't have an informed answer, I know very little of history. I can speak of my personal experience though.

It's funny how our own experience is not considered to be informative. But if you think about it, if you're not informed, then on what grounds do you claim not to be informed? In order to make such a claim you must know what it's like to be informed and you must recognize that your current state isn't it. But if you know that, are you still truly not informed?

This is an issue of externalization vs. internalization of authenticity. What is authentic? Do you feel in charge of authenticity? In other words, is it up to you to determine what is authentic or not? Or do you delegate this task to the external sources? And if so, is your delegation authentic? If yes, how do you know without being the source of your own authenticity?

Anyway. Sometimes people speak like you do in order to affect an air of humility. I hope you're just pretending and lying. But if you seriously believe what you said above, you need to consider what I am saying to you.

It's funny how our own experience is not considered to be informative. But if you think about it, if you're not informed, then on what grounds do you claim not to be informed? In order to make such a claim you must know what it's like to be informed and you must recognize that your current state isn't it. But if you know that, are you still truly not informed?

This is an issue of externalization vs. internalization of authenticity. What is authentic? Do you feel in charge of authenticity? In other words, is it up to you to determine what is authentic or not? Or do you delegate this task to the external sources? And if so, is your delegation authentic? If yes, how do you know without being the source of your own authenticity?

Anyway. Sometimes people speak like you do in order to affect an air of humility. I hope you're just pretending and lying. But if you seriously believe what you said above, you need to consider what I am saying to you.

In a way I was affecting humility, but I wasn't doing it with the intent of "increasing my image." To answer one question, I observe and listen, but in the end only I decide what is authentic for me. In that sense I consider what I wrote to be quite useful. However, I've noticed that many board members here subscribe a greater swath of rituals and practices than I do. In my case, foolhardy or no, I've decided to go it alone on that front. There are many different ways to the same place, and I think I'll have it better making my own way as opposed to carelessly reading some directions and getting lost.

Since the original question seemed clearly aimed at historic practices and texts I included the apology-- which was merely present because I was sure my answer was not in any concrete way related to the history or literature the OP was talking about. Similarly, while I tap validation solely from my own experience, and consider it fully sufficient, I realize that others do place importance on inherited rituals: ex: specific meditation techniques / mantras . . . etc

Therefore I thought it would only bring trouble to include my self trust in the response (perhaps seeming boastful and disturbing others). I didn't wish to spark an argument or misunderstanding. We got one anyway (a misunderstanding), but I don't think it's turned out badly. Incidently, thanks for the helping hand.

Edited by Iyoiyo

Sign in to follow this