Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

Doorway to Now

I immediately thought of Eckhart Tolle.

They both seem to 'get it'. :)

A thought that arose during watching the video is that that which has no beginning and no end might actually have them, but as long as you are created by it, you can't see past this creation. The Dao is like a canvas, and when you project a movie on it, then of course for the charakters this canvas is inconceivable to them.

I mean we are so small and knowledge is infinite, no? How can we say that the Dao is the greatest and most amazing thing? We know nothing! And I mean the enlightened people, too! OK, they made this major step where suddenly they know and understand everything. But this everything is just a feature of the Dao, and if there is something even superior/higher-level than the Dao, even enlightened people have no clue about that. Saying that the Dao that you can grasp is not the real Dao is maybe too big of a statement for us. Just for phantasizing... Imagine a begin that has CREATED the Dao and is amused by all the enlightened beings in it seeing it as "everything".

By the way... that's something that I want to go deeper into in my life: Going beyond everything that has been talked about already and exploring the things that are so far away that not one word has been spoken about them yet.

Whenever there's a something, think about where it might have come from. NEVER limit yourself there. :) Even "The Dao" can become a restricting dogma to us.

Compare to the unpopularizable (and therefore ever-unpopular in all Indo-European cultures) taoist proper view expressed, e.g., by Zhuangzi:

"There is a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is being. There is nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. Suddenly there is nonbeing. But I do not know, when it comes to nonbeing, which is really being and which is nonbeing. Now I have just said something. But I do not know whether what I have said has really said something or whether it hasn't said something."

Yeah... This might cause anyone stumbling across a not-so-simple truth like the above to feel cheated out of an opportunity to commit to a simple popular cause.

Which is why Tolle is bestselling and Zhuangzi, merely immortal.

Edited by Taomeow

I have seen both Adyashanti and Tolle in person. Of the two I prefer Adyashanti.

I don't have much of an opinion on what was said. That clip I found interesting so am sharing it.

My experience since beginning Kunlun is it's more along the lines of flowing water. Life is like this ever flowing stream and how much can you let go and be one with the stream?

Taoist practices seem to address this most directly. Of course Adyashanti comes out of Zen even though he follows the Advaita satsang format.

:)

I was working in a restaurant maybe 6 or 7 years ago and there was a charismatic looking guy sitting at a table with a girl. I am very good at recognizing faces and thought he was an actor. Shortly I realized I was recognizing Eckhart Tolle's face from the photo at the back of his book. When he came back from the restroom I said hi and told him I loved his book- he seemed surprised to be recognized and was gracious and said thank you, the whole interaction was maybe 5 seconds. Thought I'd share :)

I have seen both Adyashanti and Tolle in person. Of the two I prefer Adyashanti.

I don't have much of an opinion on what was said. That clip I found interesting so am sharing it.

My experience since beginning Kunlun is it's more along the lines of flowing water. Life is like this ever flowing stream and how much can you let go and be one with the stream?

Taoist practices seem to address this most directly. Of course Adyashanti comes out of Zen even though he follows the Advaita satsang format.

:)

Well, I've an ancient ax to grind against the whole "power-of-now" line of reasoning, it's not the clip you posted, it's just me. :(

This whole argument, no matter who makes it and in what terms exactly, is based on the assumption that time is linear. Which, to me, is a wrong premise in any discourse, whether cosmological, philosophic, ethical, empirical, or scientific. And, Cam, if time flows like water in your empirical world... it does in mine too, but have you noticed that water's behavior is infinitely versatile?.. Life and time that are seen as linear can only be like water flowing through some plumbing pipes where, indeed, the past and the future don't matter, all that matters is that you get your water when you open your faucet "now." But real water, unlike imprisoned water, doesn't behave anything like that... nor does time, nor does life... being and nonbeing are nonlinear, both of them. ;)

I like your perspective.

So has the South American experience calmed down?

Or when is the book coming out ;)

Edited by Cameron

I like your perspective.

So has the South American experience calmed down?

Or when is the book coming out ;)

Thanks for the bust! :blink::)

Yes, in the sense I have regained my pre-Peruvian memory of who I used to be and can tap into that in order to function routinely -- e.g., derive an opinion to post on TTB from that gone but not forgotten person whom I rather clearly remember as "me" --

and that's the power of memory... The Power of Back Then! ;)

And no, in the sense the real "now" is still "then and there" for me -- all the time...

...which brings me back to the point I'm making: "now" is whenever is the most important for one systemically (not "important in the head" or "important in the heart" but "important in the DNA"). I'm a big believer in the advantages of knowing this consciously and trying to choose what to do about it consciously too, instead of being the puppet of your own "real inner time" without knowing it.

Everyone's "Real Inner Time" is different, but I doubt it's "right now" for anyone. Real Inner Time is always exactly where you happened to look at the Real Existential Clock --

-- so currently, my "real inner time" is February 16, at all times.

I'm aware of the fact that I'm sort of talking in riddles, but it's not intentional... I just haven't figured out how not to yet.

Edited by Taomeow

Drinking jungle juice or something, Taomeow? :)

I like Adyashanti's teaching style, very direct. Gets to the root of things quickly.

I finally experienced just "being in the NOW," when Dionne "cut my head off" a few hours ago today...

The mind is a dirty lens through which we view reality. It is like a filter with our past baggage and hypothetical future embedded in it that taints this view.

So, everytime you look through the lens of your mind, you are not only seeing the now, but also carrying your past and logically-extrapolated future along with it.

Release the mind, take off the lens and you will then see the NOW in its untainted glory. You will no longer be limited to seeing only what you already understand, but open to all possibilities within the Great Mystery...

So, off with your heads! :D

When you have NO MIND,

You know nothing,

Yet can realize everything.

Edited by vortex

Sounds awesome bro!! Wish I could be there.

Taomeow sorry...I couldn't resist. But we lucky readers on Kunlun Forum got to read about my sister here's amazing journey in South America. Which I won't say any more about I guess :lol:

Compare to the unpopularizable (and therefore ever-unpopular in all Indo-European cultures) taoist proper view expressed, e.g., by Zhuangzi:

"There is a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be a beginning. There is being. There is nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. There is a not yet beginning to be a not yet beginning to be nonbeing. Suddenly there is nonbeing. But I do not know, when it comes to nonbeing, which is really being and which is nonbeing. Now I have just said something. But I do not know whether what I have said has really said something or whether it hasn't said something."

Now i know where Gertrude Stein got her writing style :)

Edited by mYTHmAKER

Excellent !

This is the first time I have seen or heard of Adyashanti.

He truly is a zen master.

Even better than Tolle for getting the point across.

Thank you Cameron for sharing.

Sign in to follow this