Long Yun

For a Taoist

I've been batting this around in my head this afternoon and haven't come to a conclusion yet. So I thout I'd relay my thoughts here, and you guys can tell me what you think.

I remember reading (in "Cultivating the Energy of Life" maybe?) that at some point in Inner Alchemy (or maybe before, it's been a while since I read it) one must end anger and desire. I'm good on anger, I understand that part. But what does desire mean in this context? Is it sexual desire? Is it "wanting" things like physical objects or just "wanting" period? Or is it the same in this context as "attachment" in Buddhism?

Maybe someone here can help me out with this. Thanks.

When I just analyze the words logically, desire is the feeling of wanting something and attachment is an emotional tie to something you either already have or ... desire. So attachement is a higher-level term that CAN include desire.

I often think about how people enslave themselves by their dependencies, and I'd say dependencies are attachements.

Dependencies are conditional. You might stop being dependent to something when you just decide so. An idea, a belief, can lead to attachements. Maybe the are attachements themselves.

Edited by Hardyg

Not like I'm a teacher or anything.

So I hope what I add actually helps.

Desire, energetically manifests in the heart and the mind.

Perhaps desire is a form of attachment? Or maybe vice-versa...

I see desire as longing for that which we long to make part of our selves , while attachment is the inability to let go of that which has become a part of our lives - (on the temperal plane)

love to all- Pat

We desire objects. Once these objects manifest, we are attached to them. I think I understand the distinction now. I feel silly for even having to ask, haha :lol:

Well, you aren't necessarily attached just because you obtained something. Obviously the more you desire something before you attain it, the more attached you'll be afterwards.

But I think it's fine if you purchase things - be sensible, know what you need and don't need, but above all try not to get attached to them. The only promise upon birth is death - and that means death of everything physical. The only guarantee upon gaining something that can be 'attained' is that it will be taken away. So if you are prepared to buy that new Audi you've been wanting.. enjoy it but try not to be attached, so if you total it and don't have the money to fix it you won't be heartbroken. :D

My opinion:

Desire: I want something I don't have.

Attachment: Please don't take away what I already have! I would be heartbroken if someone took away my car, my house, and my expensive clothes.

Perhaps desire is a form of attachment? Or maybe vice-versa...

Desire is described in Dao De Jing chapter 1 ... here in the Mawangdui B version:

Dao admissible Dao (pause) isn't constant Dao (pause)

names admissible the name (pause) aren't constant names (pause)

potential is named fertilizing the ten thousand things (pause)

actual is named breast-feeding the ten thousand things (pause)

consequently: constant is potential

desire (pause) is therefore observing the pregnancy constant

actual desire is therefore observing the newborn child

both two manifesting together are unfamilar names equaling stomach

the actual darkness of darkness is the exit door of multitude pregnancies

There are two types of desire: desire (yu) and actual desire (you yu)

There are two types of action: action (wei) and potential action (wu wei)

Edited by lienshan

You are a Taoist, my friend.

Or whatever thing close to it.

What is desire for you? When does it start to create an obstacle?

Can you see the lines where it turns against you and works for you, as well as works for others?

My desire to post here is, possibly, mutually beneficial for us.

My desire to smoke a cigarette might give me lung cancer.

Can you see the lines where it turns against you and works for you, as well as works for others?

actual desire = I want something I don't have.

desire = I want something others have.

I've been batting this around in my head this afternoon and haven't come to a conclusion yet. So I thout I'd relay my thoughts here, and you guys can tell me what you think.

I remember reading (in "Cultivating the Energy of Life" maybe?) that at some point in Inner Alchemy (or maybe before, it's been a while since I read it) one must end anger and desire. I'm good on anger, I understand that part. But what does desire mean in this context? Is it sexual desire? Is it "wanting" things like physical objects or just "wanting" period? Or is it the same in this context as "attachment" in Buddhism?

Maybe someone here can help me out with this. Thanks.

If you have desire, you are attached. If you have attachments, you have desire. No desire of something, means you are not attached to it, no views for it.

Peace,

Lin

If you have desire, you are attached. If you have attachments, you have desire. No desire of something, means you are not attached to it, no views for it.

Peace,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I have a question. Some years back when I had begun to stray off the route of compassion and had even developed too much yin, yang collapse to be precise...

It made me very recently completely appreiciate compassion more and have a deeper respect for it.

I know it is a large subject but if you or would like to talk more about your feelings on desire, passion and how it relates to traing and enlighenment that would be totally awesome. Of course Im not saying no one else can chime in, IIf you have some experiences please feel free to share.

Thank You

Hi Lin,

I have a question. Some years back when I had begun to stray off the route of compassion and had even developed too much yin, yang collapse to be precise...

It made me very recently completely appreiciate compassion more and have a deeper respect for it.

I know it is a large subject but if you or would like to talk more about your feelings on desire, passion and how it relates to traing and enlighenment that would be totally awesome. Of course Im not saying no one else can chime in, IIf you have some experiences please feel free to share.

Thank You

Desire to continue in cultivation, or the passion to investigate the mind, and or practice methods to enhance the body; Qigong, Meditation, Yoga, etc... these are good in keeping you to practice. The desire and passion them self will not do anything beneficial. It is the person utilizing the state of passion and desire to focus on cultivation.

As far as desire and passion for...sexual gratification, to want to be around someone, wanting things, passion for foods, etc..and vice verse...these will do no harm to you if utilized properly, yet they will do no good for you either regardless of how they are viewed.

So, for training purposes, the desire to attain and passion to practice is helpful to reach your goal, but it must be forgotten about and the methods must be practiced. Looking at the importance of desire and passion in cultivation in general is likened to looking at the leaves of a tree instead of looking at the whole tree.

The desires and passions in cultivation for cultivation are but a small menial aspect that fades away. What remains is the view that it is imperative to cultivate.. haha regardless of how "boring" one may assume it can get.

Peace,

Lin

We desire objects. Once these objects manifest, we are attached to them. I think I understand the distinction now. I feel silly for even having to ask, haha :lol:

Er.... :huh:

At least in Buddhism, attachment denotes either irrational craving for or aversion to any sensed phenomena. When you're unattached, you do things out of some other motivation than simply wanting certain sensations to arise or conversely, to go away.

Edited by nac

Looking at the importance of desire and passion in cultivation in general is likened to looking at the leaves of a tree instead of looking at the whole tree.

Nice analogy thanks.